The Burning Issue - Truck MPG becoming a major headache...

TimberCutterDartmoor

Is there a solution?

I've considered leaving the pickup at the yard for log deliveries and having a small efficient vehicle for commuting to harvesting sites.

That means though extra trips to swap vehicles where neccessary.

You need a 60mpg small diesel van to get there (100 mile round commutes per day) but then a 4 wheel drive when you get there.

L200 currently averaging 25 mpg and sick of watching the fuel gauge never stop moving; just throwing money away.

Higher mpg 4x4s exist but no butt to position under the processor elavator. Sick of trailers; reversing them up drives from hell.

So, high mpg tool carrier AND pickup for logs (cabstar no good - need 4wd) or just the best mpg pickup there is?

Thinking Ford Ranger Supercab of Hilux Extracab?

:thumbup:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often wondered why there aren't lots of arbtalkers converting & running their 4x4's on wood gas.

I mean, it's like, look at the closest & free fuel source immediately close to hand!!!.... (can't see the fuel for the wood syndrome).

Youtube some of the more recent woodgas conversions, very impressive!

Send a red diesel 4x4 regesterd as an agri vehicle on the low loader with the harvester/forwarder to the site. Use the 4x4 on site to the roadside. Then have a diesel estate or van to get to and from site?

As for the solution i dont think there is one. i'm getting around about 30-35mpg from my Navara.

Don't believe what the manufacturers say about the MPG figures of their latest trucks. Recently got a Dmax. On paper one of the most economic trucks there is. Last tank averaged 21.5MPG with log deliveries and a bit of towing. Supposed to manage 37MPG on the combined cycle.

I know what you mean, each day at home take the skidder out to where the van will get to in the morning then let the skidder pull the van over the rough road leading to your work site dropping the blade on the skidder slightly to knock out the ruts on the road ad you go, used to do this a lot at one time.

Is there a solution?

I've considered leaving the pickup at the yard for log deliveries and having a small efficient vehicle for commuting to harvesting sites.

That means though extra trips to swap vehicles where neccessary.

You need a 60mpg small diesel van to get there (100 mile round commutes per day) but then a 4 wheel drive when you get there.

L200 currently averaging 25 mpg and sick of watching the fuel gauge never stop moving; just throwing money away.

Higher mpg 4x4s exist but no butt to position under the processor elavator. Sick of trailers; reversing them up drives from hell.

So, high mpg tool carrier AND pickup for logs (cabstar no good - need 4wd) or just the best mpg pickup there is?

Thinking Ford Ranger Supercab of Hilux Extracab?

:thumbup:

I pondered exactly the same question, and kept coming back to one of them Skoda Yeti's? I think they could be converted into what would be a brilliant comfortable/economical/reliable van for the commute that would be pretty capable enough to access the average tracks on sites.

I'm certain there's room to throw enough tools/oils/spares etc for a shift.

They are more common now so I assume a bit more affordable used, and they certainly get great reviews.

4 winter tyres on and they would certainly be ideal for the winter months?

Such a lack of small 4wd Vans or Pickups now? Bring back the old Subaru Pickup, what a tool, I loved mine and it won me plenty of bets on sites as to where it would go!:thumbup:

Eddie.

Send a red diesel 4x4 regesterd as an agri vehicle on the low loader with the harvester/forwarder to the site. Use the 4x4 on site to the roadside. Then have a diesel estate or van to get to and from site?

As for the solution i dont think there is one. i'm getting around about 30-35mpg from my Navara.

Yes can confirm 35 mpg delivering logs round pembrokeshire 40 on a long run

but low 20s pulling a trailer loaded.

Had mine 5 years now over 200.000 miles and still going well.

53 plate Navara king cab.

All depends on how heavy your right foot is!

Cheers Chris.

I pondered exactly the same question, and kept coming back to one of them Skoda Yeti's? I think they could be converted into what would be a brilliant comfortable/economical/reliable van for the commute that would be pretty capable enough to access the average tracks on sites.

They are more common now so I assume a bit more affordable used, and they certainly get great reviews.

Such a lack of small 4wd Vans or Pickups now? Bring back the old Subaru Pickup, what a tool, I loved mine and it won me plenty of bets on sites as to where it would go!:thumbup:

Eddie.

HI EDDIE im told by mate who had a yeti there great mate well made to thanks jon :thumbup:

Eddie.

Not seen the Skoda Yeti until you mentioned, looks surprisingly good off road: