Take care out there guys!!

cjw89

I rather like my lips and your climber is lucky it stopped there.

We use our Silky's, keep the blades fresh and they are almost as quick on smaller material plus we use strops a lot.

Granted, we are not quite as fast perhaps but we ARE safe.

I'll go for safety over speed any day.

Currently, I have no need to encourage those working for me to take shortcuts, our market being buoyant.

I will amend my statement to saying that we honestly never 'cut and hold' but there are occasions the saw is used one handed at full stretch.

That is as far as it goes.

In response to Mr Josharb's spitefull comment.

I don't leave trailers unsecured in our yard or buy stump grinders that I know to be faulty then scrabble for sympathy on forums.

We recently won on the insurance for the trailer which paid out more in France than it cost us to buy from the U.K

The stump grinder has now been proven to have been faulty from the start and is up and running with further action to be taken against the sellers.

Crooks come in many guises, some as reputable companies, some towing caravans.

But I'm an honest broker and look out for my fellow workers health and safety.

Ty

The guys I use don't need any pointers on health and safety and are very confident in any given situation. I've had climbers who will not do this or that or it has to be done there way there usually fresh out of college with all the gear and no idea. It's a bit like driving you learn to drive to pass a test then really learn to drive sometimes you get caught out it's called an accident.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, its all about appropriate positioning, but I'd never rule it out.

The longer you spend n the tree the greater your risk of an accident, even the best climbers will tire and as they do the risks increase. So for me providing staff with a lightweight saw that speeds up the climb is a done with safety in mind. This has always been our philosophy, for pruning keeping the climber as fresh as possible by minimising the work required and for dismantling, only making the minimal cuts, why make 10 when 1 will do?

We've got a guy who's at college coming along for work experience currently.

Knowing that he's watching me closely has made me realise how often I go to use the saw with just one hand it to get that bit off. I now realise that I do it more than I would previously have told you I do....

Ty , please don't try to substaciate your personal and somewhat ill informed opinions the possible opinions of the former head of arb studies at merrist wood or the HSE , if your asking if we all know better than to believe the majority of the opinions you have aired that sadly on this occasion I would be inclined to say yes , like I previously said - unless you can hand on heart say that you have never broken a rule, law, industry standard or code of practice then I highly doubt you are in any position to preach

I did the the nine week course at Merrist Wood under Jack Kenyon before he retired in late 2012. I can tell you without any doubt that Ty is correct and Jack said that one-handed use was not acceptable under any circumstances. I can't find it in my course notes, but I'm pretty sure he said that more than half of professional chainsaw accidents are from one handed use of top handled saws.

He also said they were almost banned at some point in the past and that if accident rates did not come down they may well be banned in the future.

I think I would prefer them to be banned. I try to never cut and hold and would prefer to have a level playing field. But then I also try not to run the truck over-loaded and I seem to be in a minority there, too...

OP - I hope you heal well & I understand your pain. Making a mistake is human & part of living, be it a saw cut or bumping your car.

Ty - your omnipotent attitude stinks - I'm less sympathetic than most & yet find your attitude so untenable in modern society. You will be blaming women for being raped next quoting sharia law as the "truth"

OP - I hope you heal well & I understand your pain. Making a mistake is human & part of living, be it a saw cut or bumping your car.

Ty - your omnipotent attitude stinks - I'm less sympathetic than most & yet find your attitude so untenable in modern society. You will be blaming women for being raped next quoting sharia law as the "truth"

Ah, racism... I see what kind of a man you are.

Where did you conjure this attack from?

The bottom of a high strength lager can?

Ty

Edited by Ty Korrigan