Why do we have to pay VAT on our equipment

RichieR

Take VAT off all safety equipment and you will end up paying for it somewhere else.

Boots and helmets are VAT free as they are worn in practically ever industry. The amount of money saved by the government from people not ending up in A and E with broken head and feet justifies the VAT exemption.

That would probably not be the case with other safety equipment, so no it shouldnt all be VAT exempt.

Valid point :thumbup1:

Trousers are the thing for me. Think how many pairs are sold each year in the UK... I guess not a great amount, the VAT wouldnt be a massive gain to "the pot". I know any operative worth his salt would be wearing even basic trousers but any injury costs the NHS. Think Mr Smith who decides to invest in a Black and Decker special from B&Q, £40 for the saw and then spend another £45 on trousers??? No he wont bother.. Knock that VAT off and it would be more appealing..

Major surgery to the leg with ligaments and joints involved surely must cost tens or even hundreds of thousands..? I dunno.

Jonsies had some basic trousers on offer for about the £45 mark, maybe still do.

Minus the Vat they would the same price as the average pair of work trousers

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although you cant claim the vat back you do put the whole lot against your tax so your not actually 20% worst off and you get more domestic jobs because you are 20% cheaper swings and roundabouts.

Why cant you as a VAT registered business claim the VAT bacK?. I assume you are talking about a non VAT registered business.

A

Why cant you as a VAT registered business claim the VAT bacK?. I assume you are talking about a non VAT registered business.

A

I assume the op is not vat registered otherwise it would make no difference and so no reason to post. I am vat registered and can claim it back.

Just a side note I often employ lads that are not vat registered and although I cant claim vat back I offset their whole bill on tax so they are not at such a disadvantage for example.

£100 + vat = £120 - Vat = £100 - 25% Tax at end of year =£75

£120 no vat = £120 -25% = £90