What saw for conservation volunteer group

Dalli

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i use pico chain on my MS170 as it came with it cracking for what i am doing pleaching stems on hedges. never had a issue with the chains in fact first one is just worn out so new one gone on. cuts very well nice and thin which i want unlike normal chain which cuts a bit thick. if what i think you want it for doing smaller stem stuff then the pico is a good chain. just needs looking after does go blunt quicker than normal chain. so maybe not such a good idear for volunteers.

Are volunteers trained to use a saw. Do they need to be ?

They can be trained and why not, depending on what is being regularly cut/processed, it can save a great deal of time. Regarding insurance, most if not all insurers would insist on CS operators within a volunteer group, as having been trained to at a least a basic accredited level.

Any chain will be blunt in five minutes with volunteers.

Not so, it depends on the operator.

I find 1.1mm chain is very quick to sharpen, and quite forgiving of poor sharpening technique.

Is that in part due, to most popular 1.1mm gauge chains being semi chisel.

My dad has a husqy 135, which we both you for cutting small diameter firewood. They are a nice saw in the hand, the only problem we find with it, is that sometimes in can be a pain to start.

Mine was but now I've bought the special screwdriver and turned the screws a bit it is no trouble.

They can be trained and why not, depending on what is being regularly cut/processed, it can save a great deal of time. Regarding insurance, most if not all insurers would insist on CS operators within a volunteer group, as having been trained to at a least a basic accredited level.

Is that in part due, to most popular 1.1mm gauge chains being semi chisel.

+1 i doubt if the insurers would want any volunteer operating a saw would have to be someone who is a nominated person with relevant cetificates.

on the insurance certificate. do not know much about volunteers but what i have come across normally only one or two people use mechanical machines eg chainsaws brushcutters due to the no fee no win culture someone getting hurt. so they would have to use handsaws. and loppers

The woodland groups I volunteer with, do have designated trained CS operators and the like. But everyone if they have the physical & mental ability can pick up a pruning saw/handsaw/loppers to cut. Non-operator people are also instructed to stay well clear of a working CS, (though there are always some who may risk it all to save waiting around).

Felling tends to be safer, as even the impatient can comprehend, "If a tree falls on me. It's not going to make my day." Besides, even in a woodland group, there may be some who hate CSs. Viewing them as a noisy evil.

Fuel, oil, bars and chain are paid for by the groups or in kind via finished product. The latter is a harder thing to define. On of the groups I'm associated with, only has an account with a Stihl dealer. So I have to submit separate paid invoices or just swallow the cost.

Edited by TGB