Moisture level drop in stacked Roundwood?

arboriculturist

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Metres or feet?

I'll start again,been a long week and weekend for me, the poles they use at APF are approx 30 to 35 mtrs in hight total bout 100ft with 10 plus mtrs in the ground 10 to 15ft with 25 mrts above ground bout 85 mtrs.

Weighed 6.5 tons when used them at show in 2012 then stacked in farm yard for 2 years then reused this year2014 and weighed in at 4.5 tons with a moisture loss of 2 tons 40 to 60% loss in moisture.think got it right now I can go back to bed:confused1:

I don't buy into roundwood drying well in a stack, at least not down here in the soggy SW. I have a bit of larch here that JL said was cut in January and I have just weighed a sample. Comes in at 780km per solid m3 not sure how heavy larch is when fresh but suspect not much higher.

I don't buy into roundwood drying well in a stack, at least not down here in the soggy SW. I have a bit of larch here that JL said was cut in January and I have just weighed a sample. Comes in at 780km per solid m3 not sure how heavy larch is when fresh but suspect not much higher.

I'm with you on this one, I was cutting up firewood yesterday, processing sycamore branches of around 6 inches thick which had been stacked under cover for around 2 years & still reading 32% moisture.

Personally, my experience tells me average 10-15% over 12 months depending on Roundwood diameter and topographical location.

Still unsure how this compares with others findings.

Perhaps knowone except the large Biomass producers take the time to monitor their timber drying rates?

I'm with you on this one, I was cutting up firewood yesterday, processing sycamore branches of around 6 inches thick which had been stacked under cover for around 2 years & still reading 32% moisture.

Am no expert on this subject but surley the amount of moisture loss would be dependent on wheather conditions,wet and damp for long periods,wind,warm dry, and also location were stacked and of course timber spieces.

And may be if this was the case you could almost control moisture loss to a certain degree. May be wrong and Would't be for the first time:laugh1:

Since I spent the last week cutting lodgepole Pine, cut in March- April this year, and left in an uncovered pile since then.

So 6 months uncoverd weathering.

And, discounting/ignoring the poles in contact with the ground, which I passed over for now(because obviously seepling wet.)

I was getting figures in the low to middle twenties, which quite surprised me.

Marcus

Am no expert on this subject but surley the amount of moisture loss would be dependent on wheather conditions,wet and damp for long periods,wind,warm dry, and also location were stacked and of course timber spieces.

And may be if this was the case you could almost control moisture loss to a certain degree. May be wrong and Would't be for the first time:laugh1:

No - you are spot on.

Since I spent the last week cutting lodgepole Pine, cut in March- April this year, and left in an uncovered pile since then.

So 6 months uncoverd weathering.

And, discounting/ignoring the poles in contact with the ground, which I passed over for now(because obviously seepling wet.)

I was getting figures in the low to middle twenties, which quite surprised me.

Marcus

Were they really at that level when a length was crosscut in half and tested in the middle of the roundwood?

This is getting like the yes and no campaign. It's just wood! Dries out in the roundwood stack, obviously slower than cut & split. Sometimes fast, sometimes ages: too many variables. I've seen 6" ash roundwood barn stored and still mid thirties after two years after one 9" ring cut off. I've had same size beech in the open except under black sheeting at 24% right through the stick after 5 months.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor