Wagon v Unimog???

simonm

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the pros & cons to owning/running a Unimog over a wagon? carrying capacity insurance etc? I have never had much to do with unimogs so am unsure of what set up would be best, any help would be appreciated :001_tongue:

Pro's: High degree of off road mobility

Ability to power a Chipper/Winch/Crane trailer off one Engine

Road presence

It is a eye catching vehicle.

Con's:Can be hard to find a good one

High maintenance cost,if you use the two main dealers in the UK

Having to register it as a HGV or 7.5 tonner anyway

Low resale value (the bottom has dropped out of the Mog market)

High degree of operator competence is needed to get the most out of

them off road and even in general working conditions.They are alot

more complex to operate than a Truck.

Some people swear by them,others will never own one again.If you have your heart set on one,look to Europe or start negotiations at half of the advertised price in the UK.I just bought a U1100 with all the fruit and its only covered 9000 miles in its life for £5K.That was after selling my mint U1000 for £6K,which had only covered 40K and had one owner apart from me.

Any idae WHY the bottom has dropped out of the Mog market?

My first guess would be the average modern tractor has much better off road capabilities, with pretty std front and rear linkage and PTO, with only the disadvantage of slighty lower road speeds(regardless of legal exactitudes)

And simpler to maintain.

What makes a huge difference for us is we can get the mog close to the tree... Off road, back alleys , no uncoupling and recoupling chipper etc... It's a lot more versatile and compact a unit... Plus as our business grows we can develop the mog to suit.. Large trailer, hijab crane . Etc,, you get the idea.

It dose all come down to how you plan to use a unimog.

If you dont have a need for a crane,mewp,mower, pto attachment or some form of hydraulic aid plus chip box and off road ability. These are good reasoning for looking at a mog.

if not will probably not be the right solution for you

Running costs are easily justified if used to it's potential

Any idae WHY the bottom has dropped out of the Mog market?

My first guess would be the average modern tractor has much better off road capabilities, with pretty std front and rear linkage and PTO, with only the disadvantage of slighty lower road speeds(regardless of legal exactitudes)

And simpler to maintain.

I think the recession saw many of them either repossessed or off loaded due to lack of work or high running costs.This is over all industries not just treework where in Europe Mogs are probably a tiny minority of vehicles used.

Quite a few nice ones came out of Greece and Iceland after their respective economic troubles too.

Also there are more specialized attachments for Wheel loaders and Rubber tyred diggers,such as mowers,ditchers and much of the stuff that Mogs were used for.

I bought my first one from a dealer in Germany who just sold and fixed Mogs,on his lot there must have been 30 of them.Now if you vist his and other once specialized dealers,there are all sorts of Machines for sale.

I like Mogs and look often at the Web sites in Germany where they have been slowing reducing the price of them since about 2008.I paid £23K for a minty U1000 and at that time a minty U1600 with all the fruit would have run £35 to £50K depending.

People advertise their mogs for un realistic prices and they stay unsold for a long time typically.

been watching this thread and its an interesting topic

we are a small firm based near london and run both lorrys and a mog and it is very difficult to say what to go for as they both get used as much as each other

we run a u1600 ag mog and it had never been a problem being ag reg been ideal as the majority of us on the firm do not possess a hgv licence. saying this we have had lots of problems this year with major repairs. and it being out of action for a while.

due to the dryer weather this year most jobs we have been able to get the lorry off road to a certain extent if not we have towed a chipper with the pick up.

i think it does depend down to how much driving you do long drives in a mog with ag tyres is interesting.

lorrys on the upside are more comfortable cost less to run and can probably carry more but will not get you in as many tight spaces

I'm sure this all makes no sense but thats that

The vast majority of our work in on road or easily accessible off road ie could probably get a wagon there. Could probably get a decent canter for less than a mog would cost, I suppose i could do the transition to hgv a lot easier and cheaper than to a mog :confused1:

The vast majority of our work in on road or easily accessible off road ie could probably get a wagon there. Could probably get a decent canter for less than a mog would cost, I suppose i could do the transition to hgv a lot easier and cheaper than to a mog :confused1:[/QUOT

merc & iveco make 7t,with a good payload ,& 2.1/4 towing ,worth looking @,

The vast majority of our work in on road or easily accessible off road ie could probably get a wagon there. Could probably get a decent canter for less than a mog would cost, I suppose i could do the transition to hgv a lot easier and cheaper than to a mog :confused1:[/QUOT

merc & iveco make 7t,with a good payload ,& 2.1/4 towing ,worth looking @,

Im not a big Iveco fan tbh