What saw for 20 large leylandii

cornish wood burner

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK thanks. The reason I'm asking is because I have about 15 to 20 large trees (Leylandii) at my place to take down. But I can fell them straight to the ground so technically shouldn't be too difficult. However, they are growing very close together. I really just wanted to know if there was anything specific to Leylandii to watch for. Cheers

Hi Keptenjim,

If you've not got a lot of experience felling be very careful. Take your time to make sure you get the direction cut and felling cut right and before you even start that, have a good look at any lean of the tree, how the tree is weighted (quite often Leylandii's have more brush on one side), and the wind direction - even a light wind will have an effect on the big sail of a Leylandii.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

As Wolfy says and leave a a big as possible Evan hinge.

Be careful with the teleporter as well , I once priced a large leylandii hedge felling job for a farmer very cheaply I will add and he decides to get his lads to do it instead as he thinks that is too much, so his lads cut through there hinge on a leylandii and it goes side ways taking a brand new manitu with it... Bent boom , cab and knackered engine and Farm insurance void because tree work was not on there policy... Strangely he asked me too finish the job off.

No disrepect but this is an accident waiting to happen. People watch the experienced operatops at work and often think 'I can do that'.

I doubt the person doing the felling will have all the legally required qualifications to carry out the planned operations, the telehandler has it been annually inspected - the list goes on......

Your employer will also be culpable should an accident occur.

Some well qualified experienced posters have freely given their advice on the Forum and you would be well advised to follow it.

Pay a Tree Surgeon to tip them over - it will be money well spent!

No disrepect but this is an accident waiting to happen. People watch the experienced operatops at work and often think 'I can do that'.

I doubt the person doing the felling will have all the legally required qualifications to carry out the planned operations, the telehandler has it been annually inspected - the list goes on......

Some well qualified experienced posters have freely given their advice on the Forum and you would be well advised to follow it.

Not sure if you are referring to Keptenjim's trees or our nursery ones. Two different jobs. We intend to take ours down piecemeal, using the telehandler and cage with our qualified and experienced climber in the cage and tree. Telehanders that are used for personnel lifting need a 6 monthly check which ours always has. I am fairly sure our insurance covers tree and hedge maintenance but it is a good point Mattyf I will check that.

I would guess 10 tonnes a tree and expect to take a month at least, which is why we are thinking about buying more in-house equipment.

Hi Keptenjim,

If you've not got a lot of experience felling be very careful. Take your time to make sure you get the direction cut and felling cut right and before you even start that, have a good look at any lean of the tree, how the tree is weighted (quite often Leylandii's have more brush on one side), and the wind direction - even a light wind will have an effect on the big sail of a Leylandii.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Wolfie - Thanks for the advice - Cheers, Jim

:thumbup:

Well spoken. My toes are curling when someone asks what saw to use at a job. As jou said, no disrespect. But when you take property damage, or worse, the hospital bill, or even worse, the funeral bill payed by the ones you love (this happen way more than you think) in account, hiring a pro is never expensive!

Wolter

:thumbup:

Well spoken. My toes are curling when someone asks what saw to use at a job. As jou said, no disrespect. But when you take property damage, or worse, the hospital bill, or even worse, the funeral bill payed by the ones you love (this happen way more than you think) in account, hiring a pro is never expensive!

Wolter

Not well spoken if you don't even know that a telehandler needs a 6 monthly inspection to lift a man cage.

The trees will be dismantled not just tipped over as said so again not well spoken.

Please explain what the difference is between the pro on our payroll and the pro that will visit. My man who will be doing the cutting is a qualified tree climber with probabably more experience than a lot on this forum. Personally I have been using saws for 40 years for timber cutting and maintenance then my own firewood so not a complete stranger to felling trees. Obviously we need a 18 inch bar and around 60 cc to drive it ,the rest is variable.

The purpose of this thread was to get a recommendation of which saws represent good value and are reliabile from those that give them high useage.