How important 750kg chipper

Hardmet

A Timberwolf 150 on a tranny with chip box and no rear windo is impossible to reverse. If you can't see the chipper it just jackknifed no matter how good you think you are at reversing.

:thumbup1:

I disconnect mine in seconds and the 3 of us can rag it into place as fast as the Portsmouth field gun crew.

Reversing seems to be a real trial with the Quadchip, I've never known anything like it!

It is either invisible or jack knifed, no happy medium...:sneaky2:

As for the weight factor.

I bought a 750kg machine because of the saving in fuel as we travel long distances.

Also I can move it with relative ease.

Also because it served 90% of the work very well.

Now I need a larger machine, we've got bigger and more productive.

Lots of Lawson/thuya hedge removal going on over here and a 6" chipper is just not able to cut it on some jobs so we end up queuing up to feed at times.

It's not the power, just the size of the 'letterbox' that it limiting.

Ty

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try that on a narrow lane or an alley, it s no good end of. Best thing I did was get rid of tranny and tow behind. Landy and 150 VTR on I for twin axel is a dream to reverse.

Done it. Worked for one company for two and a half years where the yard was down a 70 yard single track, no room to turn inside and just wide enough to get the mogs through. We all backed our chippers in every night once we'd worked out that we could do it.

A Timberwolf 150 on a tranny with chip box and no rear windo is impossible to reverse. If you can't see the chipper it just jackknifed no matter how good you think you are at reversing.

You can achieve this manoeuvre with a cabstar and 150,and the payloads higher :thumbup:

Try that on a narrow lane or an alley, it s no good end of. Best thing I did was get rid of tranny and tow behind. Landy and 150 VTR on I for twin axel is a dream to reverse.

I used to have a tracked timberwolf- miss it so much on a lot of jobs, you just don't have the versatility with a tow behind, trying to reverse a tow behind up a rutted woodland track is a nightmare no matter how good you are, the smallest root or rut throughs it off course. The only problem I had with the tracked setup was you had to find somewhere else to put the trailer on jobs- which could be a pain in certain situations but the pros far outweighed the cons. Didn't even find the extra weight too much of a problem to tow around with the land and a full load of chip.

I do get the point but what do you do in those situations when you have a chipper that can't be pushed by hand?

I've never burnt out a clutch yet nor needed to reverse 'for ages' to get the right angle. Do it slowly and use a banksman who knows what they're doing and you can get it in first try

In my experience thats like trying to find a 16yr old that enjoys work:001_rolleyes:

The times Ive got out to gauge it for myself due to incompetence, I suppose once you have a team that does both the driving and banksman it should pick up.

In my experience thats like trying to find a 16yr old that enjoys work:001_rolleyes:

The times Ive got out to gauge it for myself due to incompetence, I suppose once you have a team that does both the driving and banksman it should pick up.

Ha ha so true, I always find someone trying to assist in reversing procedures a bit chuckle brothers.:laugh1:

I find a reversing camra on the back of the truck does the trick

As for moving chipper about if its a small (750kg) no problem but if you've got a bigger chipper have you thought about fitting caravan motor movers ??? There's a big 9" chipper on a twin axel trailer iv got my eye on and if I end up buying it the 1st thing I'm doing is fitting 2nd motor mover from eBay

I find a reversing camra on the back of the truck does the trick

As for moving chipper about if its a small (750kg) no problem but if you've got a bigger chipper have you thought about fitting caravan motor movers ??? There's a big 9" chipper on a twin axel trailer iv got my eye on and if I end up buying it the 1st thing I'm doing is fitting 2nd motor mover from eBay

I agree reverse camera is a big help and avoids accidents as in most cases you cant see with a chip box on so don't second guess as its not good practice otherwise as stated take it off and push it in etc

Your input on the chipper weight issue is interesting and very much appreciated.

It may be soon that chippers will have to have their own registration plate and MOT test, like elsewhere in Europe plus with the driving licence regulations changing all the time towing any trailer be it chipper or flat bed will be a case of the right tool for the job.

Do you think it will come down to chipper running costs then like fuel, maintenance etc. vs productivity?