Best Chainsaw protective gloves

Lsj-Services

So, did a very silly thing Saturday, put my top handle saw through my hand and wasn't wearing chainsaw protective gloves.

We've all had near misses, and I've got away without damaging too much.

So my question is, which are the best gloves to buy, and which do you get on with best?

Arbourtec At975 left and right hand protection. Very useful:thumbup1:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh you naughty boy, dont you know that top handles dont work on the ground, in that situation any of the "chain saw " gloves would have given you the same amount of protection, might be time to think of a peavey with a lifting foot, I got mine for manouvering logs on the sawmil, but it gets used almost as much for holding bits up for cross cutting, (came from northern tool and equipment, cant find a link)frees up both hands

Whats a 'peavey' agri, or am I missing the obvious?

Anyone remember the scene in Black Hawk Down when Eric Bana gets barked at for having a "hot" weapon on base?

He indicates his right forefinger and states "this is my safety"..,

Message is that common sense, and good discipline will do much more for you than any safety gear.

Arbourtec At975 left and right hand protection. Very useful:thumbup1:

Why is right hand protection useful??

Surely that will be on the throtlle/back handle so should be reasonably protected by saw body/chain catcher.

Must admit i never wear protective saw gloves, can't see wot protection they really give u and offer very poor grip in the wet so are actyally more dangerous.

By sound of it proper cuting technique, proper saw and u ould not have had the accident, i hate top handle saws just for that reason never feel safe or balanced compared to a rear handled

Why is right hand protection useful??

Surely that will be on the throtlle/back handle so should be reasonably protected by saw body/chain catcher.

Must admit i never wear protective saw gloves, can't see wot protection they really give u and offer very poor grip in the wet so are actyally more dangerous.

By sound of it proper cuting technique, proper saw and u ould not have had the accident, i hate top handle saws just for that reason never feel safe or balanced compared to a rear handled

Not if you left handed. And each to there own. Some wear them some dont:confused1:

I am left handed but use saw right handed.

Didn't realise u were allowed to use saws left handed?? (well not all the time)

I take it u also wear climbing protective trousers as normal type A's (i think) only really protect for right handed use

My mate is a chainsaw instructor althou before that spent his life working in the woods doing hand cutting and laterly on machines so has worked the tools and says the exact same protection to the rear of the hand is pretty much useless.

Fair enough if the protection was on the palm or fingers of left hand as that could be more likely to come into contact with the chain if u fell/stumbled.

Has anyone ever known the protection on the gloves to have helped/saved anyone?

Hi there, hope you're okay and make a speedy recovery!

Just wearing my 'H&S' hat and referring to published HSE guidance, i.e. "Chainsaws at Work - indg317(rev2)", copy attached, it states:

Gloves: The use of appropriate gloves is recommended under most circumstances. The type of glove will depend on a risk assessment of the task and machine. Consider the need for protection from cuts from the chainsaw, thorny material and cold/wet conditions. Where chainsaw gloves are required these need to be to EN 381-7.

REMEMBER all PPE is a last resort and never 100% effective...so don't rely on it!

Cheers, n take care out there :thumbup1:

Paul

ChainsawsAtWork(indg317-rev2).pdf