Bam! And then you realise how old you are

wisecobandit

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell I never knew which was the best place. "in the hole" before the end normally meant slinging the bale back to someone who maybe stacking or you done it on your own and everytime you turned to walk back to the elevator there would be 3 upended trying to be sucked under the elevator.

On the trailer meant walking back and forth, when unloading the rider lane and top couple of layer could mean dropping the bale down on the elevator only to see it bounce of onto the floor meaning you would have to hump it up onto the elevator later, and the bottom couple of layers meant humping them up anyway - moreso on low loader trailers.

The big issue with the perry loader meant depending on what you where loading would only go upto about 7-8 layers high which meant loading the the last few layers from the rear of the trailer and trying to pile them up high on top the trailer to them take them down a few layers to stack them at the end. :thumbdown:

I remember stacking bales under a tin roof with the sun on it and hay that had started to warm underneath. Little warm to say the least. Perry loaders were before my time but I remember throwing bales 6 rings high on a normal height trailer. My mate from the local farm and myself were the only ones that could get them that high, we found it funny to see the village lads struggle especially late in the day when they had blistered hands. No sympathy back then.

Same mate and I used to race along main roads very late at night. Not a problem when the police had moggy 1000s. The roads were a lot quieter then, you could travel many miles along an A road without seeing another car. We were definitely mad then and probably lucky to be here.

I remember stacking bales under a tin roof with the sun on it and hay that had started to warm underneath. Little warm to say the least. Perry loaders were before my time but I remember throwing bales 6 rings high on a normal height trailer. My mate from the local farm and myself were the only ones that could get them that high, we found it funny to see the village lads struggle especially late in the day when they had blistered hands. No sympathy back then.

Same mate and I used to race along main roads very late at night. Not a problem when the police had moggy 1000s. The roads were a lot quieter then, you could travel many miles along an A road without seeing another car. We were definitely mad then and probably lucky to be here.

Correction perry loaders were AFTER my time,

Trumpton, Chiggley and Camberwick Green.

Playing in fields.

Playing in rivers.

Making dens.

Cycling or walking or running everywhere.

Only staying in the house if it was really really raining.

Making anything out of anything.

Dad fixed everything that broke and nearly everything that wore out, therefore I learnt how to do these things.

Every game with friends involved physical exertion of some degree, imagination and enthusiasm. THERE WASN'T AN APP FOR ANYTHING!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

Trumpton, Chiggley and Camberwick Green.

Playing in fields.

Playing in rivers.

Making dens.

Cycling or walking or running everywhere.

Only staying in the house if it was really really raining.

Making anything out of anything.

Dad fixed everything that broke and nearly everything that wore out, therefore I learnt how to do these things.

Every game with friends involved physical exertion of some degree, imagination and enthusiasm. THERE WASN'T AN APP FOR ANYTHING!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

Snap-

Did all those things- and growing up in Chislehurst, was very lucky to be surrounded by trees, the common and the huge NT wood just over our fence~ but only 30 mins from central london.

Every day was bike ride day.

Never can ever be the same for children now- the world has changed forever~ and I spend most of my time trying to encourage children to play outside. As a Forest School Leader, its the ethos- encouraging children to have the confidence to go about just imagining and creating outside- from nothing.

Last year, i setup a mini teepee village at school, just with ex military tents. Out of 90 kids, less than 10% had ever been near enough to a tent to touch it- and none had ever slept in a tent. Very sad state of affairs.