Bam! And then you realise how old you are

wisecobandit

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We still didn't have mains leccy when I left to go to uni.

I loved haymaking, 'stooking' little square bales so they could get picked up by the clamp from when I was about 9 (or at least trying).

The best bit was at the end, working in 'the hole' at the top of the elevator.

On the last night when it was all in, me and my brothers would be allowed a can of McEwans Export, and we'd sit and force it down, while my Dad and the farmer drank and chatted away. Magic times.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hell I never knew which was the best place. "in the hole" before the end normally meant slinging the bale back to someone who maybe stacking or you done it on your own and everytime you turned to walk back to the elevator there would be 3 upended trying to be sucked under the elevator.

On the trailer meant walking back and forth, when unloading the rider lane and top couple of layer could mean dropping the bale down on the elevator only to see it bounce of onto the floor meaning you would have to hump it up onto the elevator later, and the bottom couple of layers meant humping them up anyway - moreso on low loader trailers.

The big issue with the perry loader meant depending on what you where loading would only go upto about 7-8 layers high which meant loading the the last few layers from the rear of the trailer and trying to pile them up high on top the trailer to them take them down a few layers to stack them at the end. :thumbdown:

Most farms had an old boy living in a shed as I remember. Either Irish or shell shock victim and usually bent double from work.

Town kids were always small and skinny because they were short of food. At 14 I was bigger than most of the 16 year olds out of the town, I'm not big by any means. When I ventured down south in later years I felt like a dwarf compared to most. I guess they had even more food down there.

Lots of the above and I still don't have a tumble drier, Hell my Mum has only stopped hanging her washing on the hedge in recent years.

When i was a kid my parents had the first telephone in the street. Neighbours would queue on our doorstep to use the new fangled thing, all leaving their money in an empty Horlicks jar beside the phone on the hall table.

Then, when the thing rang in the middle of the night it was seldom for us, so I would be sent up the street in my slippers and dressing gown to fetch old Mrs Jones to speak to her daughter.

Later, when Lyn and myself started married life we had a single tub washing machine and a mangle on a stand in the garage.

The first car I had was an Austin A60 but could not drive far as petrol was rationed, I think it was due to Suez or something.

But when I did drive i could also drink a skin full and drive home as there was no breathalyser to worry about.

Hell I never knew which was the best place. "in the hole" before the end normally meant slinging the bale back to someone who maybe stacking or you done it on your own and everytime you turned to walk back to the elevator there would be 3 upended trying to be sucked under the elevator.

On the trailer meant walking back and forth, when unloading the rider lane and top couple of layer could mean dropping the bale down on the elevator only to see it bounce of onto the floor meaning you would have to hump it up onto the elevator later, and the bottom couple of layers meant humping them up anyway - moreso on low loader trailers.

The big issue with the perry loader meant depending on what you where loading would only go upto about 7-8 layers high which meant loading the the last few layers from the rear of the trailer and trying to pile them up high on top the trailer to them take them down a few layers to stack them at the end. :thumbdown:

And filling the last few spaces in the roof of a dutch barn on a hot summers day was like being in a sauna with a red hot ceiling, especially if the hay was just a little too wet. And the smell of that chemical stuff that was all the rage in the 70's to stop the hay going off was a bit overpowering. I bet it was not safe to use.

I remember falling off the top of a 10 layer load when the bale slipped thst I was lying on to drop others to the elevator whilst making the unloading "hole".

Landed on my side on hard packed earth and knocked every bit of wind out of me.

The farmers daughter cradled my head on her lap and brought me round with a jar of cider being poured gently through my lips. (Standard First Aid)

Fall guy on TV. I remember getting a watch with a calculator inbuilt and not being allowed to use it at school!!!!

Gliding on a washing line pulley out a tree on a boy made nylon rope zip line hanging upside down with legs over the handle bar made from elderberry branch.

Playing in fields after harvest, damming a ditch. Homemade go karts. Home made bows and arrows. Which we fired at each other from about 15 mtrs.

Going down a spoil heap in the back garden after the house had been built at45 degrees in a pedal car. Fatty out village cracked it in half.So my mums cousin who was a fitter riveted steel bracket to it. It worked but flexed.

We honed survival and life skills.

No wonder we like our predecessors moan about. Young uns.

I'm only 40