Ropes for crane work?

gibbon

I have been thinking of using db rope instead of slings as attachments for crane work? What I was thinking was 4 x 3or4m 16mm ropes, 1 or 2 on each chain. It would be cheaper than slings and more versitile allowing various combinations of knots and half hitches to balance brash. I always switch to chains for big lumps of timber.

Anyone use ropes like this instead of slings? Any pros or cons?

i also use red 5 t slings on lumps of timber, im not one for chains used them once and found it really clumbsi- but thats my opinion. got a selection of small 1 t and 3t sling for smaller limbs. i have tried it out using a 8m length of 16mm marlow double braid so that i could tie off limb at tip and close in then put a "sling prussik" at middle point. only the once as it was over a fully glazed swimming pool building!! i personally feel that slings is so quick and in my eyes safe when using large equipment.:001_cool:

only rope i use would be on a tag line,did toy with the idea but 5 ton slings are not that expensive and i dont think i know a crane driver who would be happy with using rope....they have asked me to switch to chains on big timber before instead of slings!

I use ropes for most things..

Slings for the easy stuff.

Chains for normally soft stops for the Trunk wood.

They call them "Spider legs" in the states.Typically I use two 6meter and two four meter ones.I use Kernmantle Yachting Rope with a double figure eight tied to form an eye.When all legs are balanced thats and eight ton SWL.

I find chains so much easier to use then slings or ropes. For example, why carry the chain and a sling out to the end of a limb when balancing when you only need the chain. They are easier to disengage on the ground. Slings are difficult to use when wet and/or old and chains are easy to adjust with an extra wrap or shortening clutches. However, if you are new to craning, I would always recommend using slings.

i have only ever used chains on crane work , i find them easy to adjust and much quicker for cradle work , i tend to use double chains for bigger timber as it increases the crontrole , but depends on how you cut i guess , i tend to use alot of step cuts and single cuts strait through . but good luck trying the rope system , let us know how you get on , with some pictures mybe ??