How long does a file last?

hardtop110

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always tempted to leave a new chain as long as possible before putting a file to it (as long as I haven't hit dirt or anything) Maybe I'm just crap at filing but I always feel why attack a perfectly engineered piece of metal unless it's noticeably blunt. I have been told the opposite by people who know best but find it hard to accept

According to Wikipedia "Pinning refers to the clogging of the file teeth with pins, which are material shavings. These pins cause the file to lose its cutting ability and can scratch the workpiece. A file card, which is a brush with metal bristles, is used to clean the file... Chalk can help prevent pinning.[Lye 1993]"

Lye says simply "Chalk rubbed int the file helps to prevent pinning".

I used to use a brass pinning brush. These are really cheap and will extend the life of your file almost indefinitely, as the file material is very hard compared to chains and does not wear down. It's the pinning that stops the files working. You just need to get a method of removing the pinning (brushing) or preventing it sticking (chalk) or both. In the workshop this is practical, not so in the forest.

I hope this helps a little.

According to Wikipedia "Pinning refers to the clogging of the file teeth with pins, which are material shavings. These pins cause the file to lose its cutting ability and can scratch the workpiece. A file card, which is a brush with metal bristles, is used to clean the file... Chalk can help prevent pinning.[Lye 1993]"

Lye says simply "Chalk rubbed int the file helps to prevent pinning".

I used to use a brass pinning brush. These are really cheap and will extend the life of your file almost indefinitely, as the file material is very hard compared to chains and does not wear down. It's the pinning that stops the files working. You just need to get a method of removing the pinning (brushing) or preventing it sticking (chalk) or both. In the workshop this is practical, not so in the forest.

I hope this helps a little.

Yes it does, I'll try the brush thing.

I'm always tempted to leave a new chain as long as possible before putting a file to it (as long as I haven't hit dirt or anything) Maybe I'm just crap at filing but I always feel why attack a perfectly engineered piece of metal unless it's noticeably blunt. I have been told the opposite by people who know best but find it hard to accept

Ahh but they are not perfectly engineered !! See the photos in the square ground filling thread of new chain, round filled new chain is exactly the same I have found , big flat spots that can be drastically improved with little effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

But if you give a chain a tickle then it won't go blunt unless you hit something. You wouldn't let your car run out of fuel before filling up would you so tickle the chain at the first sign of dulling.

Hodge