checking the chain runs freely when tensioned

JosephD

When I taught I would say that, as a rule of thumb, 'place the saw on a level surface, take the chain brake off, hold the chain with a gloved hand and pull the chain; if only the chain moved, it's too slack, if the whole unit moved then the tension was somewhere near OK'.

I was told that too and I think it's rubbish. Incredible amount of variables such as the weight of the saw, length of the bar, grip factor of the surface. All these 'rules of thumb' do is confuse newbies.

In the end only mechanical understanding and experience will tell you if a particular saw is tensioned correctly. You can tell a lot by the sound made as you pull the chain over, or at least I can. You can hear worn sprockets like this too.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have up to 16" so I don't know about big stuff but I don't like to be able to lift the drive links clear of the bar so I tension it so they are still a bit covered when I lift the chain in the centre of the top of the bar.

I only have up to 16" so I don't know about big stuff but I don't like to be able to lift the drive links clear of the bar so I tension it so they are still a bit covered when I lift the chain in the centre of the top of the bar.

I`m no expert by any means, but I agree with what peatff says!

and also i put a glove on to pull the chain back and forward to see if it ran freely and its a bit of a struggle to do with one hand but quite easy to do with 2 hands, does this mean that the chain is too tight?

Yes, very tight! You should be able to easily do it with only two fingers on the chain!

My god! A forum full of professional saw users and nobody can agree on how to tension a chain!

From the husky 560 manual: "Raise the tip of the bar... tension the chain by turning the chain tensioning screw clockwise... The chain should be tensioned until it does not sag from the underside of the bar"

From the Stihl ms150t manual: "Hold the bar nose up... until the chain fits snugly against the underside of the bar... It must still be possible to pull the chain along the bar by hand..."

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I was told a good gauge was to put the saw on a flat hard service and pull the chain with a gloved hand, the chain should turn easily and you should be able to drag the saw at the same time. If the chain spins and no saw movement too loose whole saw drags and no chain movement to tight!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Its a personal thing . I like them slightly looser than slightly too tight . I was told that if you strike an arc between the moon and alfacentorie the lift of the drive link should equal 2.37 times the bisected angle of an underdone sausage roll .

Its a personal thing . I like them slightly looser than slightly too tight . I was told that if you strike an arc between the moon and alfacentorie the lift of the drive link should equal 2.37 times the bisected angle of an underdone sausage roll .

At last!

The correct answer.