How young is too young ?

peatff

Personally, I can't see a problem, other than lack of PPE and chainbrake use. Like firearms and vehicle operation. Or am I the only one who was allowed to drive off-road before I was allowed on the road? Shooting before 10?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for me it is the very poor training and supervision and lack of PPE that is the most serious issue, rather than the age necessarily. However I do think that there is an issue that at 6, even a small saw is HEAVY for them to properly control on their own, maybe too heavy.

No leg/foot PPE, no use of chain brake, close to using tip of bar (near end of vid), clearly not physically strong enough to resist any force through kickback.

I don't mind pushing the boundaries, even doing 'risky' things with my own children in a controlled manner, but that child with the chainsaw was in serious danger from life changing injury. Not good in any way.

I was 11 years old when I first started using a chainsaw, a maculloch mac10 auto, no AV, no chainbreak, and a kin big 3/8 chain, granted I was watched, and well schooled in its use, back then no ppe either, you learned from your elders and developed a respect for your tools, didnt take risks, or be stupid........mind you back then we had this thing called common sense, seems to be sorely missing these days

Personally, I can't see a problem, other than lack of PPE and chainbrake use. Like firearms and vehicle operation. Or am I the only one who was allowed to drive off-road before I was allowed on the road? Shooting before 10?

I have no problem with my 7 year old shooting guns under close supervision. I'd probably also let her use a chainsaw, but I would be holding it and the most she would do would be to squeeze the trigger.

The guy in the video is probably super proud of his kid, as right he should be. But that could all change to massive regret in a millisecond.

keeley3.jpg.ba8726bf19fc6ca764e83e6e2017c5f8.jpg

keeley2.jpg.704f922f96bf6965b5b37ea79c86e65e.jpg

keeley1.jpg.860bfbf384d25f5c70a46f3299a371a9.jpg

That kid in the video also has better operator positioning, with the exception of when he checks the front of the bar from the clutch side, than 75% of professionals, nor once does he put himself in a position where the bar could contact his legs. Sure, he doesn't use the brake, and could have caused kick-back, but even with his tiny arms, the brake would activate.

The video may have been a one-off, who knows, the kid is safer than 99% of saw related vids on YouTube!

His dad was crap though, didn't move one log! They were a trip hazard!

On another note Mr. B, what's that pistol your daughter is holding?

The dad set a pretty poor example whem he marked the cutting points on the log using the tip of the bar!

If someone wants to remove themselves from the gene pool so be it, but gambling with a small child is criminal.

Steve - it looks like the range is geared up for youngsters - goodness knows how detailed their risk assessment must be.