Construction is the most dangerous industry in the UK?

kevinjohnsonmbe

This doesn't surprise me at all. Every site I go on I see problems and accidents waiting to happen. But it's okay, everyone has supplied their RAMS so it's right. Elf and Safety is so in control that no-one needs to think anymore or have any common sense as to their own well-being.

I see people under suspended loads, but it's okay,the slings and chains have been Loler 'tested':sneaky2: so they can't fail and the operator is certificated - so he won't make any errors.:001_rolleyes:

H&S has just become an butt-covering exercise for the main contractor.

too true with all the tool-box talks site inductions read this form sign this form to say you understood the last form

if anything does happen all you get is well he/she was trained/instructed

because we got him/her to sign this piece of paper

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the figures are misleading. Modern organised sites are not dangerous and I reckon the high deathrate is probably associated with the unregulated sector of the building industry. Many times over the last few years there has been buildings, trenches and roof`s collapse on unskilled eastern european , irish and indian "builders". They are a nightmare and if the government want to do anything at all they should license the trades to make it illegal for people to launch themselves on the public as tradesmen. I really dont think this is a reflection on site safety.

Bob

Builders maybe only 10% of the workforce but is inherently more dangerous place to work than an office block where (random made up number warning lol...) 50% of the workforce are where typically the riskiest thing to occur is a paper cut!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Exactly as above. It is probably the largest 'trade' workforce that still has a degree of danger inbuilt with the job, wether working at hieghts, below ground/trenches, eleccy, gas pipes heavy things moved by big plant and machnery.

Building sites are generally very safe places. Yes there are dangers but there are generally precations put in place to try and preent most of them.

Yes if ur walking about with ur eyes closed u could very easily hrt urself, but anyone with a bit of common sense should be ok.

I would also agree farming is probably 1 of the most dangerous, single person working and using tractors/pto's/quads on uneven/steep/wet grund and even working with stock can be very dangerous at certain times of year.

But fishing and even forestry, u dont have to speak to many commercial soft woof cutters to hear about some very near misses. It happens

I think there may be an element of chest beating and bluster from Union boss trying to maintain his profile too. There are certainly inherent hazards associated with construction, just as there are many other sectors: sat diving, explosives, farming, fishing, tree work, window cleaning, steeple jack the list is endless! Our builder fell off the roof - but that was because he was an old fashioned man who was using unsafe practices - the accident was inevitable! I think it's a poorly conceived and unsubstantiated article (other than the actual number of deaths) but if it causes a focus of attention maybe people will buck up??

Talk about shining the spotlight on yourself! HSE will just add more scrutiny to the building trade if their own union is making statements like that.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Every site I go on I see problems and accidents waiting to happen. But it's okay, everyone has supplied their RAMS so it's right. Elf and Safety is so in control that no-one needs to think anymore or have any common sense as to their own well-being.

I see people under suspended loads, but it's okay,the slings and chains have been Loler 'tested':sneaky2: so they can't fail and the operator is certificated - so he won't make any errors.:001_rolleyes:

H&S has just become an butt-covering exercise for the main contractor.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cos one is not allowed to "fix stupid" i.e sack drunk, hungover, dysfunctional or otherwise cognatively challenged workers.

And my gosh the Construction sector sure does attract them.

For various very sound sociological reasons.

Not sure I'd agree that its the most dangerous. Death rates in construction have more than halved in past 30 years. According to the HSE, 1% work in agriculture and forestry but account for about 20% of deaths ie 20x more dangerous than average job. Whilst 5% work in construction and account for 27% of the deaths ie just over 5x more dangerous than average. So according to that, agr+for is about 3.5x more dangerous than construction. Possibly no surprise with most sites being bigger and with better H&S than most farms. No split out between forestry and agriculture though that I could find.

Further in beyond the summary there's a bit more detail on HSE but still not split out for forestry

The rate of fatal injury per 100 000 workers in 2012/13p was 8.8. This is lower than the average figure for the

previous five years of 11.1. The rate is much higher than any other industry section and over four times the

construction rate of 1.9.