what stihl to buy,

gnfencer

Presuming you are vat reg'd this is only 30 quid past your budget:

Husqvarna 550XP chainsaw (50.1cc) | F R Jones and Son and the very best you can buy in my opinion.

Yes the bar is made of swiss cheese, just replace it when it's worn or ad a sugihara bar to your order (again, the best value for money by far)

Or if you can stretch to 50 quid over £400 the 365 XT can be very easily modified to be a 372 XT and is the best value by far of any saw.

Husqvarna 365 X Torq chainsaw (70.7cc) | F R Jones and Son

Jones's have an extra discount on at the moment so good prices!

Hi,

I have a 365 with 20" bar for firewood cutting, its not a screamer like the 550 & 560s but does a very good job, solidly made and none of Stihls daft flippy cap nonsense either - really do like it & have cut some fairly decent sized Oak no probs with it.

N

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second the husky contingent. The new stihls do cut i admit but are in my opinion heavy and cumbersome. We run 560's on 8 tooth large 3/8 rims and full chisel stihl chains. . . .nothing comes close. A makita is a good shout also, gutsy, reliable, light, ergonomic and fair on fuel.

Cheers,

Andrew

Ok folks been looking at options and looking at comparing the following three

Echo CS 450 with 45 cm bar, read good things about echo on this forums, and they offer two year guarantee.

Makita EA 4300F45 C ,

Stihl, MS 251C-BE

I have an account with a merchant who deals with all three manufacturers and I get good discounts from them so, what would the best value for money be for those three

Echo CS 450 with 45 cm bar, read good things about echo on this forums, and they offer two year guarantee.

Makita EA 4300F45 C ,

Stihl, MS 251C-BE

I have an account with a merchant who deals with all three manufacturers and I get good discounts from them so, what would the best value for money be for those three

Those are all much weaker saws than the 455 Rancher, and are not really suited as replacements. Out of those tree, the Makita clearly is preferable (but find one with a shorter bar).

Edited by SawTroll

Makita EA 4300F45 C ,

Stihl, MS 251C-BE

Hi

Keep your current saw as none of those is really a leg up from what you already have, when your 455 is totally knackered, replace it.

N

Would a Makita be a good choice I cannot justify the price of a stihl 362 for all the use I'd have for it im looking to spend no more than 400

Pm shavey on here and get a dolmar 5105. Bloody good.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

The 455 rancher is a 55cc saw, so your options for betterment are:

Husqvarna:

545/550xp, 555/560xp, 365/372xp

Stihl:

261/271/291

362/391

Makita/dolmar I'm not sure on the models, but there are no dolmar dealers in the uk yet, so the saws (and parts) have to be shipped from Germany or USA.

Personally I find the Stihls on the list gutless, heavy and slow, the huskies are good, but I would advise the non-XP models

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Pm shavey on here and get a dolmar 5105. Bloody good.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

as ian says the PS-5105 is a good alround saw lively and reliable, economical and good value for money

there are three other models to consider

dolmar PS-4605 very similar to husqvarna 346xp

dolmar 115 which is 50cc very reliable non cat saw been around for 25 + years proven design

and lastly the PS 6100 strato non cat again which was launched in the spring of this year a perfect allround saw ive been using it most days this week on a 15'' and 18''

great balance plenty of power and TORQUE like the older sachs dolmar