roping onto next tree

minty

So far from this thread i've only learned that it is very impractical to rope into the next tree, unless you can easily swing over into it.

Otherwise that leaves throwing into it with a throwline, although i've tried and can honestly say its not easy, unless your blessed and get it first time restting your throwline in a mug or cube etc is a pain in the tree, plus you can not always get the ideal position to make a good throw leading to frustration and loss of time.

As for throwing the tail of you line over and getting your groundie/s to pull you in, i must be doing something wrong as i tried this and as the groundie pulls the tail it just tends the slack sending back to the tree i'm anchored in, i can't pay out slack as the groundy is pulling the line. What am i doing wrong?

Only the travers sounds viable, which leads to the point with throwlines.

Part of me thinks it just easier that if i can't make a simple swing, then I would install my access line in one tree then throwline into the next, access the first tree then get my groundy to retrieve the access line and install it in the next tree ready. I can access most canopies in minutes with an srt system, i also have 3 throwline, so i could set-up 1 tree and leave 3 lines in the others ready for my groundy to install my access line.

This just seems far quicker to me.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for throwing the tail of you line over and getting your groundie/s to pull you in, i must be doing something wrong as i tried this and as the groundie pulls the tail it just tends the slack sending back to the tree i'm anchored in, i can't pay out slack as the groundy is pulling the line. What am i doing wrong

don't get your groundie to hold it tight, just hold it. you decide how much slack you need so you can ease your way across. and if you do run out just get him/her to ease a bit more out to you

don't get your groundie to hold it tight, just hold it. you decide how much slack you need so you can ease your way across. and if you do run out just get him/her to ease a bit more out to you

O.k i see where your going, i think i get it now. Probably didn't help that i had a 19st giant on the end of my line pulling for all he was worth damn near pulled me back to the top of the tree i was in, so i thought bugger this and just went lower and swang across.

I guess i'll have to try it again sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

*(Pic 1) using a throwline aloft to advance your climb rope or to rope onto the next tree can sometimes be the best option.A fishing reel is a great tool for keeping it(throwline) in order. *(Pic2)Once the throwline is over the selected limb on the next tree,let it hang about a meter and get it swinging back and forth in line with you *(Pic3) When the throwball is swinging toward you give it a sharp tug and let the line go and it will "come to Daddy".Then double rope or both ends across. This method is easy and fun to practice on the ground.Thanks to G Beranek and "Working Climber CD"

583x211_11.jpg.f268537affab30beab624325ba8737d3.jpg

602x274_13.jpg.44b5e09a71f98b724547fc1ee0756365.jpg

602x274_12.jpg.1cfb047576147aa0336b7435d66206ac.jpg

Edited by coolie
added a bit

For roping onto closer trees that are difficult to swing onto....

an open hook with the eye set at 90 degrees ,tied to the end of your climbing line,thrown over a limb and hooked back around the climbing rope tail is an easy way to pull yourself over.For longer distances Ive used a rope grab.

A grapple is very simlar.Thanks to G Beranek and "Working Climber CD"

720x480.720x480_sh1.jpg.bf991ee2195718486a617358fae62648.jpg

720x480.720x480_sh2.jpg.3a3988eaa8c76ddd366a291c62cd91aa.jpg

720x480.720x480_sh3.jpg.2e359eac5bb72e21aa9f49927b46e22f.jpg

720x480.720x480_sh4.jpg.d829a5be98ede2a1f834eb3905d6b15d.jpg

For roping onto closer trees that are difficult to swing onto....

an open hook with the eye set at 90 degrees ,tied to the end of your climbing line,thrown over a limb and hooked back around the climbing rope tail is an easy way to pull yourself over.For longer distances Ive used a rope grab.

A grapple is very simlar.Thanks to G Beranek and "Working Climber CD"

What a brilliant idea. I don't know why I never thought of that!!:001_smile:

Its the simple things that are usually the best. Cheers for posting.:thumbup1: