New timberwolf 150

jack88

Isnt the sub 750kg going to be a dying market anyway? Im sure I read about new restrictions regarding the limit for towing and GTW for new drivers being no more than 3500kg.

So any new blood to the industry would either need to do a towing entitlement or simply not drive (making them useless to a lot of firms) .

Say a 2500kg transit plus 750kg chipper = 250kg payload to keep GTW under 3500kg.

Given time sub 750kg wont be marketable feature i believe, might be a few years yet though.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't help but think this is only such a hot topic as some of us don't have B+E. Surely if you have the funds to buy new chippers you can spare £500 a head to put some guys through B+E then choose from all the chippers including the heavier ones which out shine these sub 750s in every way?

Heavier/ larger capacity would cost more to buy, cost more to run, be harder to move by hand, use more fuel to tow, cause more wear and tear on the truck etc etc.

Personally, and in an ideal world i would want an 8" capacity, wide hopper sub 1000kg with about 45hp. Big enough to eat nice sized unsellable logs and brash yet light enough to move by hand and maintain cheaply.

Dream on! :thumbup1:

You will have to wait for the new TW 190 to come out, I seen and played with the new Tw230 dhb and its been worth the wait. Taking into account the changes and improvements they have managed on the 230dhb the new 190 will be a hell of a machine. They are going to have too, because the 230dbh is as good as my 190 dhb and my 190 tracked

Isnt the sub 750kg going to be a dying market anyway? Im sure I read about new restrictions regarding the limit for towing and GTW for new drivers being no more than 3500kg.

So any new blood to the industry would either need to do a towing entitlement or simply not drive (making them useless to a lot of firms) .

Say a 2500kg transit plus 750kg chipper = 250kg payload to keep GTW under 3500kg.

Given time sub 750kg wont be marketable feature i believe, might be a few years yet though.

I believe that is about right, new drivers are going to have even more restrictions so further tests will be inevitable so my as well run better built kit.

Heavier/ larger capacity would cost more to buy, cost more to run, be harder to move by hand, use more fuel to tow, cause more wear and tear on the truck etc etc.

Personally, and in an ideal world i would want an 8" capacity, wide hopper sub 1000kg with about 45hp. Big enough to eat nice sized unsellable logs and brash yet light enough to move by hand and maintain cheaply.

Dream on! :thumbup1:

This is true but the increased output and service life (bearings and other components don't wear as quick because they are fit for purpose) trump the slight extra use of diesel and the truck struggling, which is a moot point really as most 3.5t Arb trucks are massively overloaded everyday and generally quite ineffective so who cares if the chipper goes a few hundred kg more the things are abused day in day out anyway...which leads us back to the hgv discussion.

Little chippers can be moved easily by hand but big ones can be moved too, just less easily and if you can't back it in it probably won't fit anyway.

Striving to make something that does what loads of other machines do already but with an unfeasibly low weight to avoid getting a fairly cheap towing entitlement seems crazy to me. Also due to a vast amount of people in the industry not wanting to get driving qualifications it has kept the price of small chippers higher than it should be, new and used. As if you have B+E you can grab an old schlisling, Jensen, Bandit, Vermeer etc cheaply that still delivers great performance. But I'm sure for a large part of the market who can't or won't train this new machine will be right on the money.

It's astonishing what these sub 750 kg chippers can do.

In the end when you look back on a job like a dismantle ask yourself

"What was the weak point in that job? Where could we have been more efficient?"

Ime it's usually the loading of the cordwood, not the chipping of the brash. A TW Jensen or green mech can keep up with a climbing dismantle, you don't get a queue at the machine.

So these smaller machines make a lot of sense for a lot of us.

It's astonishing what these sub 750 kg chippers can do.

In the end when you look back on a job like a dismantle ask yourself

"What was the weak point in that job? Where could we have been more efficient?"

Ime it's usually the loading of the cordwood, not the chipping of the brash. A TW Jensen or green mech can keep up with a climbing dismantle, you don't get a queue at the machine.

So these smaller machines make a lot of sense for a lot of us.

Depends how long you want them too last? Light machine thin metal!

Had mine 10 years now. Bits fall off true, but basically it's still all there.

Don't get me wrong I've owned and used bigger and better chippers. Notably a scheisling 220.

2 blokes can push a TW

over a level lawn into position, that can be a big plus.

But you're right, compromises have to be made.

Even now it's productivity amazes me.