Anyone uprated a 4x4 pick up to 3.5 tonner?

Andrew Barrett

Just spoken to Matt Young from Roger Young. He told me the gross train weight will be increased from 6 tons to 6.35 tons along with the gross vehicle weight being increased from 3.05 to 3.5 tons.

Cheers for clearing that up.

.7.5 ton gtw on my defender.....

Really? so 4 ton towing or 4 ton truck, how come ? I thought the max combination with a landy was 7 ton.

not that I would want to try 7.5 ton, it struggles like mad with 7 ton.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everywhere I ask, people tell me Defenders are unreliable and very uncomfortable to drive (I'm 6ft 2) and very expensive 2nd hand. And they tell me the newer ones are worse than the old ones!

Our old Hilux has not caused a single unscheduled missed work day in the five years we've had it. We paid £2,400 for it and it is 18 years old now. We had a lot of problems with (new) unreliable british chippers until we bought a new Jensen and I don't want the same with trucks. Unfortunately single cab Hilux's have by far the lowest legal payload (820kg excluding driver) of any of the main picks ups sold in the UK at the moment.

Well i can only speak from experience......I am on my fourth landrover, this one i have abused for the last 13 years. It has oinly ever really let me down once in all that time. It gets abused, overloaded (been pover 9.5 tonne with an ifor at the quarry before) and just comes back for more. I have had toyota hiluxes and daihatsu fourtraks (one daihatsu) and worked with people with l200s galore. They ALL break down, wear out and rust to pieces in no time. They are extortionate to repair and the chassis are so weak its a disgrace. I have no passion for landrovers (or any 4x4 for that matter) but in 20 years i find myself biting the bullet and sticking with landrovers because they ARE reliale (no less than anything else in the same conditions) and they ARE the only ones that can do what they do. Everything else falls bty the wayside quite badly. In all honesty, the detractors fall into the category of the jealous (cant afford a good one so settle for second best), the ignorant (those who dont know when NOT to buy a vehicle and get lumbered with a knackered one) and those whose mates have ignorantly spouted nonsense at them as part of THIR personal vendetta fort whatever reason. The bottom line is if you want a car derived 4x4 get a jap thing and suffer the lack of true ability but enjoy looking poncy and having car-like comfort, or go for function over form and get a true workhorse and suffer shoddy build quiality of the body work and what have you, to benefit from the phenomenal chassis and drive train etc etc etc.

Just my opinion formed after nearly 30 years of being around overworked undermaintained 4x4s lol

Cheers for clearing that up.

Really? so 4 ton towing or 4 ton truck, how come ? I thought the max combination with a landy was 7 ton.

not that I would want to try 7.5 ton, it struggles like mad with 7 ton.

3.5 ton vehicle towing 3.5 ton trailer = 7tonnes.......sincere apologies fore my atrocious maths the other day hahaha:blushing:. However you can tow more if you go for air brakes like the utilities do sometimes- water board more than any IIRC.

Is the iveco on the 'bang tidy' thread not one of these? Think there was/is ex demo one on fleabay about 30k +VAT. Or maybe they 5 tonners?

5.5 I believe, never understood the idea of going over 3.5t and not getting something as close to 7.5t as possible.... I may have missed something though!

You are clutching at straws as the only vehicle you can do what you want with is a defender in reality. I looked at those isuzus at the royal cornwall show on the roger young stand.......they are a joke IMO, and Matt YOung did every thing he could to dodge my questions.....7.5 ton gtw on my defender.....

It would be a lot more helpful if you said why you think the D-Max is a joke and what questions he was trying to dodge.

Is the iveco on the 'bang tidy' thread not one of these? Think there was/is ex demo one on fleabay about 30k +VAT. Or maybe they 5 tonners?

The 3.5 tonne variant without chip box has something pitiful like 500kg payload

5.5 I believe, never understood the idea of going over 3.5t and not getting something as close to 7.5t as possible.... I may have missed something though!

I believe that the point of +3.5t sub 7.5t is that the pre 97 licence holders can drive up to a combined vehicle and trailer weight of 8.25t, vehicle max 7.5t, trailer max 3.5t. so if driving a plated 7.5tonner, the maximum trailer allowed would be one plated at 750kgs. but if the truck was for example a 5.5t iveco daily, the trailer could be 2.75t-allowing a payload of about 2-5t on the truck and tow a big bandit chipper for example.

going over 8.25t would need a C1+E as i understand

Just found this, on certain old licences

Vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg carrying no more than 8 passengers plus driver with trailer over 750kg if combined vehicle and trailer weight isn’t more than 8.250kg

well thew size of the chassis for starters, the ampunt of plastic trim on a work vehicle, the amount of unnecessary bling, the fact that it is what it is and no more- totally locked into being one vehicle. Overall it seemed a bit flimsy TBH. He couldnt give me a straight answer regarding GTW, towing ability, off road ability loaded or otherwise....he kind of looked confused and almost worried that I was catching him out on simple things, and i just got the impression he was trying to be evasive...not the way to make a potential buyer feel at ease i would have said....

It might be worth mentioning here that the general concensus here in cornwall is that Roger Young USED to be the name in land rover in cornwall, but that due to recent business practices, mostly since MAtt has been more involved it seems, they have been losing their reputation somewhat and other dealers seem to be getting even larger slices of the pie. Many think it is a last ditch attempt to restructure the business into something profitable again. The attitude i found at the show is indicative of this.

well thew size of the chassis for starters, the ampunt of plastic trim on a work vehicle, the amount of unnecessary bling, the fact that it is what it is and no more- totally locked into being one vehicle. Overall it seemed a bit flimsy TBH. He couldnt give me a straight answer regarding GTW, towing ability, off road ability loaded or otherwise....he kind of looked confused and almost worried that I was catching him out on simple things, and i just got the impression he was trying to be evasive...not the way to make a potential buyer feel at ease i would have said....

It might be worth mentioning here that the general concensus here in cornwall is that Roger Young USED to be the name in land rover in cornwall, but that due to recent business practices, mostly since MAtt has been more involved it seems, they have been losing their reputation somewhat and other dealers seem to be getting even larger slices of the pie. Many think it is a last ditch attempt to restructure the business into something profitable again. The attitude i found at the show is indicative of this.

What business practices are you referring to tommer? I'm keen to know as I'm seriously considering one of their uprated tipper D-Max's. If you'd prefer not to say in public please PM me.

LOL that sounds really underhand. What i mean is simply that the level of service seems to have dropped (anecdotally) and certainly the quality of their fabrication (they make tipper conversions in house for a local utility subcontractor for example) is worse than shoddy. They have recently taken over another independent landrover centre and that has lost all its business and that has just gone to pot, as most of the customers have been scared away by the way they have been treated- heavy handedness on accounts, poor workmanshiop, mechanincs who have been there for 20+ years leaving under clouds etc etc etc. They have lost their franchise with some major players downhere, not limited to Western Power and Imerys (china clay)......people are speaking with their feet/ wallets.