Anyone uprated a 4x4 pick up to 3.5 tonner?

Andrew Barrett

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andrew

Do you know if that is on new pickups only? If not I'm very interested as always had difficulty justifying cost of getting one that won't carry/ tow payload I need ( I have tended to push luck delivering logs etc!)

Hi again timbernut,

Matthew from Truck & Trailer indicated that it doesn't matter if pick up new or not. It apparently depends upon the chassis on a specific pick up / truck. It needs to be rated to carry enough weight. If it is then I think it is just suspension / tyre changes then testing and paperwork.

He told me they have converted D-Max's but I'm waiting for more detail on previous actual pick up upratings they have done, with make, model, age and cost.

If I were in your situation then a landcruiser 79 would be on the next container ship from Oz... then you'd actually get an awesome truck out of it, rather than something too soft for the job but with heavier, more expensive suspension...

Hi tree_beard,

I've looked into that too. The basic Toyota Landcruiser single cab as chassis cab weighs 2,065 kg - that is 80kg more than a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 3.5 tonner single cab chassis cab. And the Landcruiser is only a 3.3 tonner. It also costs about the same as the Merc Sprinter 4x4 before shipping costs!

So, you're right that it would be a seriously tough vehicle, but the payload would be poor with box and tipper. Certainly much less than the new Ford Ranger sold in the UK, for example.

But you could mount and fire artillery from it without looking overweight...

I realise it's tough (impossible? ) to find the perfect arb vehicle, you have to accept you'll never have enough capacity within the 3.5 t bracket. Two pickups however, one with chipbox, one with tool storage and tipping trailer would be pretty bloody good in most situations.

Have you thought about buying a landcruiser amazon and converting it to a truck cab ? It's 3260kg as standard , I'd also exstend the chassis by 12" to allow an 8ft chip box !! That would make a lovely 4x4 tipper with a 3.5 tonne tow limit,

It's something I'm planing to do to my cruiser one day !!