a question on morality

sean

have you turned down a felling job because you felt it would be morally wrong?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. have you turned down a felling job because you felt it would be morally wrong?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have but i dont have to much time for morals now...if i dont some one else will as long as all the conservation area ,tpo and other covenants are all cleared and checked its all money and i would think most of us are in the buisness of making it....90% of arboriculture is morally wrong any way if you look at it deeply,you can only advise and try and be a voice for the right direction but if thats what people want to do with there property thats there buisness.

I have turned down several felling jobs, either talked them into a pruning job instead or put a silly pricetag so they cant afford it (it'll be cheaper to let it be and build youre terrace somewhere else... or a pruning is cheaper...

When I was still new to the buisness I was made to fell a lovely birch in a garden, the only one I may add, cause it was casting shade on their future terrace...

I tried to talk them out of it, and suggested them to relocate the terrace due to shade effect on the house. They wouldnt have it.... This was in early spring when all Swedes are crazy about the sun! Later on that summer, which turned out to be one of the hottest for years (!), me and my boss did a small job for a neighbour.

The previous customer had built their terrace and spent a small fortune on a sail and two fancy sun parrasols to create some shade....

The guy came over and asked us if we could come over for some advice.....

I couldnt belive it!

He had a problem....the house was to hot and the family was struggling to sleep...

He asked if we could replant a big tree in his garden!?!?:confused1::scared1::001_tongue:

Oh boy! Did we give a silly quote on that!!!!:eviltongue:

I do what the punter wants, if there is no obvious reason to fell i will suggest a differant approach, a reduction or a thin/crown lift if its a light issue but at the end of the day if the cheque book is open and ready to go i aint really bothered, just warm the saw up and get it felled, food on my table not someone else.

Always say no to toppin though, advise on a proper reduction but if they dont want that and its cheap top job i will walk.

Priced a big Syc a few weeks back, been topped at about 25ft 5 years ago, now customer is miffed thats it's grown so fast and is blocking all the light out again! She wants me to re top it, i have explained why it grows so fast and the problem with topped trees and advised her to have it out and re plant with a better sizes tree but as ever it will come down to money!

Edited by Ian C

i have refuse a few times one many years ago the council wanted to fell a 900 year old healthy oak to make way for a building site,i was given the job i look at this grand old tree and no way was i going to fell it so i made up that there was bats in it and reported the funny thing is the tree officer came out with the bat people to inspeck for bats and there was bats in the tree and its still standing to this day.

the last tree was again with the council a lady complained that the chestnut outside her house was dropping conkers in her drive and her job was high up in the council.i complained to the council that she was abuseing her powers as the tree been there for a good couple hundred years and she just move in. anyway i got my way the tree still standing

:laola::laola::laola::laola:

i have refuse a few times one many years ago the council wanted to fell a 900 year old healthy oak to make way for a building site,i was given the job i look at this grand old tree and no way was i going to fell it so i made up that there was bats in it and reported the funny thing is the tree officer came out with the bat people to inspeck for bats and there was bats in the tree and its still standing to this day.

the last tree was again with the council a lady complained that the chestnut outside her house was dropping conkers in her drive and her job was high up in the council.i complained to the council that she was abuseing her powers as the tree been there for a good couple hundred years and she just move in. anyway i got my way the tree still standing

nice one

The big Lime in the graveyard job I took down recently, when I went to veiw it the bneighbours came flying out of the house when they saw me and asked if this tree was coming down.

I told them I was just having a look at it to assess it (the tree had already been earmarked for removal), they then came out with a tyrade of excuses that there was a small branch fallen off and if their child had been under the tree... the shade.... it drops crap all over.... the leaves.... if it blows down it will demolish their house...blah blah.

I started to boil whilst listening to all this, the tree was about 100 year old and the house was brand new, these people had only lived there six month.

It really really really (and I cant stress how much) annoys me when people buy a house with trees in the back, front or side and then complain about the trees and want them chopping down weeks later with no regard whatsoever for the age and grandeur of the tree, most of which have been through two world wars and countless storms only to be condemded by some snotty nosed spoilt bratt just out of nappies and manicured nails our lass would be proud of.

One of the biggest considerations when purchasing a house you are going to spend half your life in surely should be the trees around it.....dohhhh