Fuel measurement : Pump or split can?

DWestbrook

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must admit i always use an old stilh thing and am quite paticular in that will only use my own petrol.

Over the years seen all sorts, pouring into combi can till it looked the right colour, or 1 boss's son used to pour it straight into saw tank and just guesed the ammount???? mazingly don't think he ever seized 1, think he put a capfull in (no matter size of cap or tank of saw)

Do u all use the standard 50:1 mix???

Speaking to a mate who is a good 2 stroke mechanic and he runs everything on 25:1 says far esier on engine. He done a lot of work woth a large hire compamy so all the stone/stihl saws were getting a lot of abuse.

He said it doesn't coke it up to much and althou u wil go throu more plugs cheaper than an engine.

Wot's ur opinion's?? I've never ever heard of anyone doing it before

Yes i was being serious

I was thinking along the lines of the pumps being purposefully incorrect.

sure its an offence, that weights and measures would be quick to act on i imagine.

But does it happen?(or indeed has it?)

How much could it be short by and how long would they get away with it before it was noticed?

If at all a couple of percent? I know if I filled a combi can and it came up significantly short I would notice

If the pump did deliver short, it wouldn't be a tragedy from the saws point of view

Must admit i always use an old stilh thing and am quite paticular in that will only use my own petrol.

Over the years seen all sorts, pouring into combi can till it looked the right colour, or 1 boss's son used to pour it straight into saw tank and just guesed the ammount???? mazingly don't think he ever seized 1, think he put a capfull in (no matter size of cap or tank of saw)

Do u all use the standard 50:1 mix???

Speaking to a mate who is a good 2 stroke mechanic and he runs everything on 25:1 says far esier on engine. He done a lot of work woth a large hire compamy so all the stone/stihl saws were getting a lot of abuse.

He said it doesn't coke it up to much and althou u wil go throu more plugs cheaper than an engine.

Wot's ur opinion's?? I've never ever heard of anyone doing it before

pal of mine uses 40:1 swears by it. recons its easier on the saws too. anyone else do that?

pal of mine uses 40:1 swears by it. recons its easier on the saws too. anyone else do that?

People do . Not a huge difference but I stick with 50: 1 . I have heard it said that running 40 : 1 makes them run leaner as there is less petrol in the mix and the slightly extra amount of oil can cause fouling and coking .....