VOSA landy and tacho

firewoodman

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How far are you going, and are the blocks for your own use?

Collecting 5 miles from home, delivering 25 miles from. For a close relative's use, i.e. this isn't business; it's using a business/private vehicle for private use. Thanks.

but its a saturday so dont worry, dont think vosa work on weekends:sneaky2:

Lol! Looks like weekends could get flippin' dangerous on the roads then! Robin Reliants taking double mattresses to the dump, me with too much concrete. Be careful out there guys!!!:ohmy::001_cool:

Point to note, VOSA are not the only people able to prosecute for not having a tacho, the boys in blue can too! I know a few people that have been stopped by the police in 4x4's towing commercially and ben told to get one. So the weekends are not that safe.

Yet more red tape! This confuses me; I've been pulling a Jensen A530T tracked chipper on a flatbed trailer behind an L200 for a while - never had any bother. Am I just lucky or cruising for a bruising?

yes you are cruising for a bruising i have been done for putting a tracked chipper in the back of a transit "over loaded",trying to get around the pre 97 towing law. Then went to pick it up on a trailer and got stopped at a different vosa station and they were going to do me for not keeping driver records and not having tacho fitted, its only because it was 4.30 on a Friday and they were knocking off work that i got away with it.

If the government wants to know why the country is on its ass they have only got there self to blame why cant they let us just go and earn a living!!!

I am going to vent some frustration now! The fact of the matter is,

Since 1997 its been the law that if you tow commercially and go over a GTW of 3500kg then you need a tacho thats the last 12 years! In my honest opinion it is the DRIVERS responsibility to ensure that the combination he is driving is legal.

If that means you have to spend a few hrs surfing the net ringing VOSA etc thats as may be, lots of us have already had to do it. Ignorance is no excuse to break the law. Ok a tacho ain't the cheapest thing but at the end of the day it ain't the most expensive bit of kit you'll ever buy. Keeping drivers records isn't hard either.

If you want to know the rules and exemption Contact VOSA asking for a copy of "Driver's Hours and Tachograph Rules for Goods Vehicles in UK & Europe" ISBN 0-11-552813-x

Rant over.

Collecting 5 miles from home, delivering 25 miles from. For a close relative's use, i.e. this isn't business; it's using a business/private vehicle for private use. Thanks.

No tacho needed then.

Matt, I understand your frustration, but the fact of the matter is that much like the changes to driving licence categories in 1997, none of this stuff has been advertised by the responsible authorities. VOSA know full well that the majority of drivers and companies are in the dark, which is why so many people get let off a first offence.

However, rather than waiting for people to get caught, if they really wanted widespread compliance, surely it would make sense to educate by advertising in trade press, national press, or by encouraging tacho fitting firms to advertise their services by informing companies of their responsibilites.

As it is, VOSA seem happy to keep stopping and prosecuting a few, while the majority remain blissfully ignorant.

yes you are cruising for a bruising i have been done for putting a tracked chipper in the back of a transit "over loaded",trying to get around the pre 97 towing law. Then went to pick it up on a trailer and got stopped at a different vosa station and they were going to do me for not keeping driver records and not having tacho fitted, its only because it was 4.30 on a Friday and they were knocking off work that i got away with it.

If the government wants to know why the country is on its ass they have only got there self to blame why cant they let us just go and earn a living!!!

Which part am I overloading then? My braked trailer weighs 700kg net and can take 1.9 tonnes thus 2.6t gross so I'm not overloading my trailer with an approx. 1 ton chipper. I have an 'old' driving licence. With the above arrangement, the train weight would be 4.6t thus not exceeding my max GTW of 5530kg. :confused1:

Or is this about having a tacho? I do keep driver records and have probably not pulled the above arrangement for more than 200 miles in the last 12 months or gone more than 30 miles from home with it.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor
typo