Arb Assoc - 'Affiliate Contractor' proposal

AA Teccie (Paul)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a brilliant idea.

After listening to your seminar (at the arbshow hosted at kingswood) if I had set up alone I would have liked to become arb approved, if I'm not mistaken you have to have traded for 2 years. Therefor I believe that would be a good timeframe. It allows new companies to work to arb association standards from the beginning.

As you would like to promote trained individuals / companies I think the 'working towards' membership should be on the level of Technician membership

Edited by JLA Arborists

Sounds like a brilliant idea.

After listening to your seminar (at the arbshow hosted at kingswood) if I had set up alone I would have liked to become arb approved, if I'm not mistaken you have to have traded for 2 years. Therefor I believe that would be a good timeframe. It allows new companies to work to arb association standards from the beginning.

As you would like to promote trained individuals / companies I think the 'working towards' membership should be on the level of Technician membership

Thank you for this, and the very interesting points you raise, Perhaps, as you say, the time bound should be / could be the 2 years you cite.

The point about being deemed on a level with Technician Member is interesting. My concern is Technician is an individual membership option which requires a min. level 3 'arb' qual whereas this would be a business membership option, albeit requiring trained and knowledgeable individuals to be involved.

Good 'food for thought' tho..thanks again :thumbup1:

Paul

As a recent AAAC's I would be miffed if an "affiliate contractor" got on the web site or to use a logo.. But I don't think you are planning to do this.

The term "affiliate" makes it sound official, "working towards" is less likely to cause offence. My issue is that mrs miggins wouldn't know the difference.

Is there a proposed cost? There would have to be some minimum standards and some sort of max time frame..

As a recent AAAC's I would be miffed if an "affiliate contractor" got on the web site or to use a logo.. But I don't think you are planning to do this.

The term "affiliate" makes it sound official, "working towards" is less likely to cause offence. My issue is that mrs miggins wouldn't know the difference.

Is there a proposed cost? There would have to be some minimum standards and some sort of max time frame..

Good evening Ben (and soon to be nite, nite for me)

Don't worry you won't be miffed as wouldn't be on AA website, nor entitled to use logo, until ARB Approved.

There is a proposal the membership status would be certificated, to give some level of recognition to the contractor involved as they'll have to submit some evidence of quals and compliance etc., but no formal accreditation. Obviously as an ARB Approved Contractor, you too have a certificate of approval and you're on the AA website AND you can use the logo. Hence there's a clear incentive for businesses to progress.

Reet, that's me done fer now so pick things up again tamarra.

Cheers n thanks for the post :thumbup1:

Paul

Dear ARBTALK'ers, a bit of market research if I may be so bold :001_rolleyes:

Increasingly, as the ARB Approved Contractor (ArbAC) Scheme grows in popularity and with an increasing awareness at the (commercial / LA) client level, particularly due to the 'tie-in' with the CHAS Scheme, AND hopefully now in the domestic sector too as we can award TRUSTMARK, several contractors are stating they are "working towards" arb approval. Hence subsequently, the clients often contact us for confirmation of such...BUT we have nothing to support this claim other than the contractor concerned has perhaps been on a (FoC :thumbup:) Preparation Workshop previously...not particularly a clear demonstration that one is actively "working towards" ARB Approval.

It has been suggested, by A-N-other (very) prominent ARBTALK'er, who BTW has recently become ARB Approved himself (thank you), that we should be better supporting, and recognising, these businesses...quite rightly.

Hence there is a proposal to consider the introduction of an 'Affiliate Contractor' membership grade which, it is anticipated, will be a contractor 'actively' working towards ARB Approval with a view to presenting for assessment within a reasonable timescale (TBC.) It is not intended to be a long term membership option. By way of support, the contractor will receive the regular updates / 'ARB Digest' we supply to ArbACs and have open lines of communication to myself, as Scheme Manager, and colleagues who are scheme lead assessors. We may, also, be able to offer the option of a reduced price, or maybe free (TBC), pre-assessment visit once the contractor feels they are ready, or almost ready, for assessment. Further AA training discounts would likely be available also.

As always "the devil will be in the detail", including cost, which is likely to vary according to business size as with ArbAC, and obviously wouldn't be any more than the ArbAC fees, and hopefully significantly less.

So, basically, I'm looking for a "show of hands" to see who would be interested in this proposal?

Thanks in anticipation and all feedback (positive and negative) will be gratefully received :thumbup1:

Cheers..

Paul

PS Sorry, just seen this message posted and it goes on a bit..."thanks for getting to this point!"

Paul

Why not just push the pre assessment visits and then give affiliate membership ?? That way you (the association ) are aware of where the contractor is in terms of compliance.

I agree wholeheartedly that AAAc should be the norm rather than the exception if we are to be taken seriously as an industry, but there is nothing stopping any contractor telling their clients they are working towards approval and never having the b**ls to take the assessment.

I go back to what I said previously to those putting their hands up. BOOK AN ASSESSMENT. Go for it, pass or fail it is a brilliant top to toe business evaluation. How many of you pay fortunes for advertising that looks similar to your competitors ?? The costs are not too onerous if you plan it. Seek Paul s guidance and it will be beneficial to your business. If after 2 years you don't see an upturn in work drop it then but at least you will take a healthy company forward

(Paul its Jamie Myers by the way)

Paul

Why not just push the pre assessment visits and then give affiliate membership ?? That way you (the association ) are aware of where the contractor is in terms of compliance.

I agree wholeheartedly that AAAc should be the norm rather than the exception if we are to be taken seriously as an industry, but there is nothing stopping any contractor telling their clients they are working towards approval and never having the b**ls to take the assessment.

I go back to what I said previously to those putting their hands up. BOOK AN ASSESSMENT. Go for it, pass or fail it is a brilliant top to toe business evaluation. How many of you pay fortunes for advertising that looks similar to your competitors ?? The costs are not too onerous if you plan it. Seek Paul s guidance and it will be beneficial to your business. If after 2 years you don't see an upturn in work drop it then but at least you will take a healthy company forward

(Paul its Jamie Myers by the way)

Jamie, SORRY, shudda known...n now your covers blown! :biggrin:

I take on board your points, very well made. The 'working towards' thing is a bit nebulous to say the least and the client will always have their interpretation of this. However, I'm aware that many, LAs in particular, have stated a clear preference for their contractors, or their recommended contractors for TPO works etc., to become ARB Approved and have stipulated a timescale within which they should achieve this, i.e. 12-24 months. At least the 'Affiliate Contractor' membership option will go some way towards reinforcing the contractors intention, I believe.

And yes anyone can apply for assessment at any stage and we're not here to "catch people out" AND people "do get approved these days first time round"...don't they Jamie? :thumbup:

Thanks again for your contributions here..

Paul

If it becomes a requirement for TPO work (Which I agree in principle with) then you should be very busy with assessments then!! I still think they should apply for the approved status. I fail to see the value of an Affiliate status. If they are given a timescale then get on board and do the whole thing