Reminded myself why i went from landys to japanese...

wisecobandit

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There`s nothing wrong with a landy. That type of valve problem in most cases is caused by worn valve guides which can happen with high mileage on any engine. The only way a valve can loose its heat is through proper contact with the guide , sloppy guide = red hot valve= inevitable failure.

Bob

Yep LR=POS

That exposes you as either biased, or ignorant of basic vehicle maintenance, lots of people work LR's with few problems, they outperform the competition in bad terrain, are reliable with regular maintenance, & the parts are relatively cheap.

What experience do you have of running them, or did you just have one that was a lemon, it does happen with any motor?

Bit of chemical metal and a new valve and that'll be as good as new :)

You can't beat a good landy bashing

Sorry but if you have done that 3 times to a 300tdi as said above you need to either look at your maintenance programme and/or your driving. oil changes at 6k with good quality oil and cam belt changes and they just keep going.

300 & 200 tdi's are very rugged built engines and even tweaking shouldn't cause problems if done right.

And for the landy bashers, sure they ain't perfect but if you know of any jap/euro pickup that will run legally at 7 ton all up all day every day and still get 25-27mpg I'm all ears, and I do run both.

I have said it before, a lot of the reason land rovers get a bad name imo is because of a certain well known make of very cheap poorly made pattern parts that should be banned.

Last paragraph, spot on, avoid at all costs.

I have a 300tdi defender, it is indestructable- it pulls my 3ton digger regularly and is in general treated like a tractor. Simple trick is good, regular maintenance, as far as I'm concerned its almost become trendy to dislike land rovers and take a cheap shot at them- they haven't been going 60years for no reason,they are built for a job.

If mine went bang tomorrow I'd still be saying the same thing- 6years of heavy towing and off roading since iv had it, at 16 years old, it has barely cost me more than regular servicing in all that time.

I have to back you up Matt, I,ve had mine 12 years and it has worked like billyho, it has not let me down in that time and has been ultra reliable.....

Why ? Because I look after it, it really is that simple. Landrovers are always getting a slating and the only reason they get slated is people run and run them with very little maintainance and expect them to keep going.

Landrovers are not luxury cars, they are luxury tractors, they are work vehicles and boy does mine work. I can only sing it's praises

Look, of course I am biased, same as anyone who posts on this thread.

I've had a def and I've had jap and I know what I believe to be better.

Is that ok with everyone?

I have my defender and I have had 4 fairly newish Landcruiser amazons.

Whilst the amazons are literally bomb proof and very rarely need parts, the parts when you do need them are breathtakingly expensive

Throttle pedal £600

Vacuum sensor ( a basic on off switch ) £350

New turbo £3500 (quote from Toyota )

I love amazons but one breakdown in the amazon would pay for ten breakdowns in the landrover

Just as an aside, the amazons collectively let me down 3 times in 12 years, the one defender has not let me down

I have had lots of discos and a few amazons a fourtrack a navarra and a few defenders. You pays your money and takes your pick. The only one that has been a disaster is the latest D4 everything else ok amazon superb in ten years its had new discs one new exhaust and a cam belt.