Reminded myself why i went from landys to japanese...

wisecobandit

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of chemical metal and a new valve and that'll be as good as new :)

You can't beat a good landy bashing

Sorry but if you have done that 3 times to a 300tdi as said above you need to either look at your maintenance programme and/or your driving. oil changes at 6k with good quality oil and cam belt changes and they just keep going.

300 & 200 tdi's are very rugged built engines and even tweaking shouldn't cause problems if done right.

And for the landy bashers, sure they ain't perfect but if you know of any jap/euro pickup that will run legally at 7 ton all up all day every day and still get 25-27mpg I'm all ears, and I do run both.

I have said it before, a lot of the reason land rovers get a bad name imo is because of a certain well known make of very cheap poorly made pattern parts that should be banned.

HI MATTHEW same here mate there great just to do oil 5/6k miles they on for years theres chaps on here 280k on them 300tdi engines thanks jon :thumbup:

280K, pah, try 310 now :thumbup:

Have run/used others jap stuff in the past and if anything they've cost more on repairs/maintenance than landrovers.

They all have their good/bad points but so far my current defender's been pretty good so far in the last four and a half years.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

If you need a truck that will take REAL abuse and KEEP coming back for more without totally dying then steer well clear of jap rubbish. It is great until you really slog it, then it is rubbish gutless bendable weak unreliable trash.

Bad luck in the damage! You'll find the second hand head ok on t'internet. One piston may be a problem as you might not be able to buy just one.....Being a LR though I wouldn't be surprised if your local dealer says yes! I know you used to be able to buy just one for a Series 3.

Try DINGOCROFT for your spares. Avoid Sh1tpart with a vengeance though!!!

I've just seen this on ebay....Land Rover 300Tdi Engine With Ancilleries, Now Removed From Chassis. | eBay This seems to be an average price and you'd be able to sell a lot of the other bits you do not need:biggrin:

cpdlasher

Edited by codlasher

I was put off Landies for a long time by talk like that contained in this thread, Ive owned one for a little over six months now and no regrets.

Mines an old 89, 200TDi I bought it because you dont have to plug her in, its as basic reliable and almost bullet proof as it gets. So Far I have had no issues bar a little low power to the trailer lights due to many chops and changes in the wire looms over the years.

I think those that try to diss the land rover defender are just gutted because they didnt have the conviction to ignore the trashing they get, they opted for Jap junk, its human nature I guess.

back in the day the old fourtrak trucks were good.

engines were reliable, ok gearboxes were a little soft.

rust was a problem but nothing that a good preventative maintainance schedule wouldn't stop.

wish they kept making them really

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk