moisture meter bargin!

Suffolk-Matt

I have one of these, bought brand new and works fine when the batteries are brand new, but twice now they've gone flat from it just sitting there not being used, and after not much use at all. First of all i thought the batteries that came with it may have been cheap, but i replaced with a good brand and the same thing has happened.

Can anyone recommend a more decent meter?

btw, the meter seemed to work fine when in working, but i've not got anything to compare it too. And the batteries are expensive to replace too.

I have one of these, bought brand new and works fine when the batteries are brand new, but twice now they've gone flat from it just sitting there not being used, and after not much use at all. First of all i thought the batteries that came with it may have been cheap, but i replaced with a good brand and the same thing has happened.

Can anyone recommend a more decent meter?

btw, the meter seemed to work fine when in working, but i've not got anything to compare it too. And the batteries are expensive to replace too.

We bough one from Axminster tools about 7 years ago. Still works fine. I checked with microwave and scales and up to 30 % MC just about spot on , 30 to 50% it starts to read up to 5% low. Lot more than £15 though. Comes in a blue lined and padded box. If you need a name I can check tomorrow.

We bough one from Axminster tools about 7 years ago. Still works fine. I checked with microwave and scales and up to 30 % MC just about spot on , 30 to 50% it starts to read up to 5% low. Lot more than £15 though. Comes in a blue lined and padded box. If you need a name I can check tomorrow.

Whats the microwave and scales trick all about pse?

Microwave trick is

Weight piece of wood measure volume by immersing in a vessel of water

Microwave it

Weight again

Calculate wood moisture loss by loss of weight. If volume is measured by water displacement in measuring jug it's very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

MC 6012 £67 or so if still available We buy. Biomass chip and use it to measure MC. I have checked its accuracy many times .and I would recommend it.

Microwave trick is

Weight piece of wood measure volume by immersing in a vessel of water

Microwave it

Weight again

Calculate wood moisture loss by loss of weight. If volume is measured by water displacement in measuring jug it's very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That's a clever trick.

We do it the easy way. Scales that weigh 2000g in 2g increments. If you ever do this be carefull when you approach the fully dry state in the microwave. Little bursts, let the wood steam for a minute then repeat. Easy to end up with charcoal or a fire if too rash.