200tdi tuning?

william127

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont be putting a disco box in it, i had that in my td5 110 and i found it a little bit too high geared even for that, sandworks have you personally done that with a 300 tdi head etc? I wouldnt mind a 300 turbo as i could have the same 3inch performance exhaust my mate has on his 90, it sounds amazing.

Is changing the head, turbo, manifolds and fuel pump not basicaly the same as fitting a 300tdi, in terms of performance?

Im starting to go round in circles looking at stuff, basicaly i realy want to change my turbo so i can have a better laid out air and exhaust system as it really is a right mess, but i really dont want to buy the wrong turbo. And if i am going to go to a 300 tdi turbo its probably going to be cheaper and easier to buy awhole 300 engine and take what i want.

I reckon my best bet is to just tweak the pump and then go to the billing show in a few weeks and price up the manifolds, there are lots of good priced new/ reconned 300 turbos around so im not too worried about that.

What have other people done to get a bit more grunt out of there 200tdi defenders? I know these engines are what they are, and i am happy with it as it is, but with a 7 ton train weight a bit more wont hurt! I dont mind a bit of extra maintinence or spending strong money as long as i get something for it.

Thanks, william.

HI WILLIAM open up the turbo and pump my mates flys mate thanks jon

I wont be putting a disco box in it, i had that in my td5 110 and i found it a little bit too high geared even for that, sandworks have you personally done that with a 300 tdi head etc? I wouldnt mind a 300 turbo as i could have the same 3inch performance exhaust my mate has on his 90, it sounds amazing.

Hi William,did the head swop to a friends 200,talk about grunt and speed! and you have the nice layout of pipes etc….. i would recommend a larger intercooler too……they love cold air so the more the better!

As for td5…. have one, love it to bits but when they meet a hill…. dies a death…. my 300tdi tipper does 87mph up hill down dale loaded or empty, pump is tweaked, but still playing with the fine tuning of it…. to be honest, empty on back roads its suicidal,the 130" were never meant to travel at those speeds…. but it is fun!

Fully loaded,Just shy of 5.5 cube of chip, and she is a boat,but only fill her that full if i am staying off roads or popping down the road:001_rolleyes:

3" exhaust?Yup! why not? sounds Great and if you have more air in then you have to have more air out …. after all an engine is just an air pumps why restrict it…..

One of mine is tweaked and on a standard box. Towing 3+ tonne will maintain 60+ without a problem and easy getting there. The other isn;t tweaked but has a lower ration box in and will maintain 50 loaded or otherwise. It ain't quick but will get there. For me tweaking the pump ain't about going quicker as such more about being able to maintain the speed and getting to it in a more efficient manner.

On a 200 engine. Don't forget your datum settings on the pump screw and the diaphragm. Remember where the dot is on said diaphragm BEFORE turning the required 1/4 turn!

On heavy loads you will be running much higher exhaust temperatures when 'tweaked'. If these are too high rapid damage will certainly occur. Care is needed to ensure your fuel air mixture is not erring on the weak side. There are exhaust temperature sensors to tell you when the system is running in the correct temperature range. You can put in the tapping for one if you are removing the manifold and first section of your exhaust.

codlasher.