15ft Yew...what should I do?

johnsonjack_81

Question

I have recently bought a new house and there is a 15ft Yew outside my house (within the boundaries of my wall). It blocks light and I would like to either:

- completely uproot it

- trim it to about half the size

I have been warned against both for different reasons. Someone told me not to completely remove it because it could cause the land to sink where the roots extend to (Its about 4m away from my front door). Also that the roots are sucking up lots of water which could lead to excess water beneath my house??

Also been told that cutting it back by half would be difficult and it could take years before it goes green again.

What would you advise?

• Answers 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Heave will only be a problem if there is a persistent moisture deficit caused by the tree and this will only be possible if the tree is significantly older than the building. The house will also need to be build in a shrinkable clay soil. You can check your soil type at the bgs viewer online but beware, the viewer is copied from solid and drift maps and these are only accurate to 20 miles.

Shrinkable clay soils are not the only issue to consider. A birch tree located 25m from the building would be unlikely to cause damage no matter how shrinkable the soil is, oak on the other hand may well do. You need to look at all the factors or you would just be guessing. Getting a qualified arb in is a good idea if in doubt.

AMIUG is now run through the consulting arborist society (CAS) or so they tell me. They have a list of accredited mortgage and insurance expert of which I am one operating in the midlands area but there are others all over the country. Have a look at their website, there is a link on the home page of my website for easy access. See below.

Shrinkable clay soils are not the only issue to consider

Sorry Chris - but in the context that was being discussed at the time by Matt ie causes of subsidence and/or potentially heave, the shrinkable clay content of the soil is the only thing to consider - not the water potential of the tree as was also raised.

Sorry Chris - but in the context that was being discussed at the time by Matt ie causes of subsidence and/or potentially heave, the shrinkable clay content of the soil is the only thing to consider - not the water potential of the tree as was also raised.

Sorry mate but i dont agree. Fair enough if you rule out shrinkable soils at the start you dont need much else. but if your s and d map says the soil is london clay then you have to look at other factors. if you are talking about heave then most importantly age of tree and building. foundation depth is also hugely important. They are all parts of the same puzzle which no doubt you include in your mortgage reports. They all add weight to your decision also.