VOSA and Clear diesel vis-a-vis red diesel

difflock

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wether u kept more detailed records of chipper/tractor hours/mileage to prove wot u were claiming for. But i would imagine it would make things more complicated for most people and open to abuse.

Probably the biggest problem if it was all 'white' is it would probably be more valueable to 'travelling' types and thieves as would be a far bigger market for it, so be worth more and be more getting nicked

As I understand it if the work is agricultural, forestry or horticulture you may still use red to drive to the site in an agricultural tractor. The only issue is if you haul anything to or from the site, when it becomes transport and is subject to all the rules on operator's licence, goods vehicle licensing and tachographs as well as needing DERV fuel.

From HM Revenue & Customs

"I have a gardening business. I use my tractor to cut and treat the grass, get rid of weeds, cut hedges and perform tree surgery. I take my tractor on the public road to travel to and from where it will be used and I also go on the public road to reach the outer parts of the trees and hedges. Can I use red diesel on the public road?

Yes, cultivating and managing gardens is horticulture and so your tractor would be on the public road for a purpose relating to horticulture."

its not agriculture so if you put one tyre on road then you have to be running on white. its amenity and as such does not have exemption like agriculture tractors. you can use red if not on public roads. know a council and have to get from one playing field to next. because of this has to run white all the time. its mad if your doing agg work or amenity work and not haugling diggers and like then should be able to run on red. once again hmrc want there cut. getting very enforceable of late anything they are involved with

I only have pto driven chipper, yes I do run my tractor on red. But If it was a level playing field and rebated fuel didn't exist, crime(illegal use of fuel) would be cut and one less thing for the VOSA HMC&E predators to hunt down legit operators, wasting productive time, also cowboy outfits wouldn't have an opportunity to reduce running costs whether taxis, hauliers, farmers or whoever.

I think one fuel to rule them all. Is the only way.

Them Talians:thumbdown: have a different system to us, they are given a quota of rebated fuel that is related to the acreage of their farm. Someone has calculated what they could possibly use and thats your lot.

Bob

Hmmm?

So a sulcking herd gets different from a ploughing arable who gets different from a low-till arable who all get different from a potato farmer, then attempt to factor in all the permuations from "mans" land against "boys" land.

never mind

Dry years/wet years.

The possibilities for fraud ud be endless!!

Them Talians:thumbdown: have a different system to us, they are given a quota of rebated fuel that is related to the acreage of their farm. Someone has calculated what they could possibly use and thats your lot.

Bob

that is not fair on the smaller farmers. who are on hills or have only a small acreage. or market gardens. as other posts there should be a rebate on one derv if you are using it for agg arb, amenity. then every one is getting same not the arable barons with thousands of acres getting thousands and the hill farmer with 100 qcres who running costs may be more due to looking after livestock gets less.

but cherry should go and just have white. also this would mean those who have super yatchs would pay the same. unlike now run on green which is cheaper than white. if you can run 200k plus boats you can afford to pay for white

unlike now run on green which is cheaper than white. if you can run 200k plus boats you can afford to pay for white

Why should you pay road fund duty on boat fuel ? I don't understand your logic it's like saying they should pay more because they have more so someone with more money than me should pay more for their bread or something. They probably already do as they will shop in different circles, Harrods not Lidl and they will definitely pay more income tax.