Semi pro saw choice

StuartM

Hi All , time to admit that I really need some help…

Having read as many threads as I can find over the last 6 months I’m still not sure which saw I should buy and could really use some input from people with experience and knowledge.

So far based on the posts on here I’ve worked out that a saw should be orange (or have a close relative that is) and that I probably need several.

Spec wise I volunteer with our local woodland management team so I’d like it to cope with felling small trees once I’ve sorted out my tickets and also ringing up large trunks (2 foot+) ready for splitting into firewood. The guys I work with are using Stihl 261s and a 250 but they seem to break the 261s and the 250 is tired. I’d count myself as somewhere between a home user and pro regarding usage levels but do generally buy good tools whenever possible.

My local dealer has Stihl and Echo so they seem sensible choices but 550XP looks great too. I have an electric Makita at home for processing smaller stuff and based on its performance I wouldn’t rule out one of theirs (plus I’ve got a good parts dealer for them up the road).

So after reading all of that what would you all recommend?

My current list is:

Echo: CS450, CS550

Husky: 455R, 550XP

Makita: DCS5121

Stihl: 261

I generally over spec stuff so I’ve got no objections to lower spec suggestions if I’m aiming a bit high! Secondhard would be ok with me within reason but I don't fancy an ebay gamble.

Many thanks

Stuart

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of that list, I would avoid the 455r. It is purely a home owner's saw. The rest should do fairly well. If I had to suggest one, it would be an MS261-CM. Loads of torque and power for up to 2' logs.

Just re-read my post and I should probably clarify that the saw is likely to get a max of 2 days use a week and often none.

To me the home user end of the market is designed for chopping some wood a couple of times a year which is well below my expected usage but I won't be working it as hard as most of the forum users!

I'd be happy with any of the suggestions so far but I think they would be overkill my needs?

2 bars sounds like a good call, a 15" for the forest and a longer one for processing the big stuff we get in.

If you're not going to be cutting every day, (like me) but need a decent saw, that can easily cope with a 15" bar, you may wish to add a Husqvarna 545 to the list. Having said that, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Echo.

Cont...

Having said that, you may be happy with the Echo 450. The Echo 550 might be a tad on the heavy side but you'll not be lugging it six days a week. I think the Husky 550XP as an occasional saw, would be overkill on an expensive scale. But if you aspire to greater things, then perhaps the 550XP is the one for you. Though it'd be more at home felling 'n' snedding, than ringing up all day.

have a look at a husky 365xp just a tad more money but much more of a saw to that choice but its a heavy saw if using all day

Seconded.

If your cutting bigger stuff as much as smaller stuff it will make life easier.

Yes a bit more weight but you also wont be using it for so long as a smaller saw as it will be quicker. :thumbup1:

Just re-read my post and I should probably clarify that the saw is likely to get a max of 2 days use a week and often none.

To me the home user end of the market is designed for chopping some wood a couple of times a year which is well below my expected usage but I won't be working it as hard as most of the forum users!

I'd be happy with any of the suggestions so far but I think they would be overkill my needs?

2 bars sounds like a good call, a 15" for the forest and a longer one for processing the big stuff we get in.

for the amount of use you are going to use it look at mitox. lot less money 2 year warrenty as a home user. get two for the price of a husky or sthil.

not on comision everyone :biggrin:just hear good reports about them from users who use them a lot

Why no MS 251 on the list? Nice saw, much more value for money than the MS261.

On a 12 or 14" bar the MS251 is idea for nature reserve work-small trees and scrub. You're not going to find the perfect saw that's great for that and also ringing up butts bigger than 2' across.