LOLER certifiable splices

openboater

You've hit the nail square on the head. If a splice is done well you CAN'T see how it was made. A manufacturer will splice a particular rope in a particular way to achieve a particular strength. There are many different types of splice that will have similar or even identical external appearances. A LOLER inspector can not be expected to recognise the numbers and lengths of cut strands that are buried inside a splice. If a spliced rope is accompanied by the makers certificate to support the quality and strength of the splice it should be taken as correct. Anything else MAY not be.

The R of LOLER is for Regulations.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a professional splicer- you should be able to check to say, 95% accuarcy if its a good splice or not though. buta anyways, im not in the UK so ill leave you to it.

Yes Drew you are correct.

Your previous post is just as accurate.

Leaving it at that is a good idea also.

;)

just seems a money making scheme that actually doesnt really help anyone apart from the big manufacturers

Loler as a whole does help people but it covers a huge amount of ground so when you apply it to a splice which is a tiny area of a minority industry it seems unwieldy.

The people it helps are the ones who are employed where they might be pressured into using kit that isn't up to standard.

There is no such thing as Loler certifiable splices.

Only CE certifiable splices.

As far as I am aware.

A rope manufacturer would normally leave the testing of their ropes and hand splices,( most ropes are still hand spliced but some are machine assisted), to outside testing company's.

Edited by High Scale

so what if i spliced a rope then stuck a yale ce sticker on it, you'd pass that for loler would you? (by that i mean you would record the item safe for use during a thorough examination)

if not how would you tell it wasn't a yale splice?

like drew said i can say with about 95% accuracy just looking, felling & touching, furthermore i know a whole network of splicers who's work is top notch, often its their splices i'm examining. Some of these aforementioned splicers have had stuff broken (break tested), others i have broken stuff for. Without supermans x-ray vision you will never see whats inside so your down to traceability, accountability etc that said how many people are going to maliciously make a splice that looks & fells correct but isnt?

If you want to loler splices you need to know lots about them & you need to be ready to say "sorry mate, that may well be super strong, safe whatever but not knowing the method or the rigger and seeing some unfamiliar/ worrying traits i cant pass that as FFP) i had an imori splice the other day, the method was not one i've ever seen, the throat was too think for too long then the taper waay too sudden, the cover was also a pretty baggy, alarm bells were ringing, the guy had done it him self & tried to pass it off as a shop splice, i told him where to find correct splice methods & told him to practice a bit before launching into aiming to successfully splice his ppe ropes, since then he's had a skype splicing session with me and is sending a couple of samples to be broken, if you can be sure peoples method is spot on how much breaking is necessary? how often do maufac's have to test their riggers splices?

you can become a maufac & go through the process of being able to CE certify your products, its not at all hard but it is expensive, that's what honeys did.

personally a ce sticker makes up a very, VERY small part of the picture for me when examining kit! some examiners will fail anything without 100% tracability some can make inform decisions based on what they see in front of them and even ask questions of the end user purchaser etc to help them to their final decision.

• 1 month later...

I would like to get more practiced and offer splicing as a service but with all the legal needs I'm not going to bother. Keep it to my own. But I feel if you understand the mechanics of splicing you know if it's a good splice

so what if i spliced a rope then stuck a yale ce sticker on it, you'd pass that for loler would you? (by that i mean you would record the item safe for use during a thorough examination)

if not how would you tell it wasn't a yale splice?

like drew said i can say with about 95% accuracy just looking, felling & touching, furthermore i know a whole network of splicers who's work is top notch, often its their splices i'm examining. Some of these aforementioned splicers have had stuff broken (break tested), others i have broken stuff for. Without supermans x-ray vision you will never see whats inside so your down to traceability, accountability etc that said how many people are going to maliciously make a splice that looks & fells correct but isnt?

If you want to loler splices you need to know lots about them & you need to be ready to say "sorry mate, that may well be super strong, safe whatever but not knowing the method or the rigger and seeing some unfamiliar/ worrying traits i cant pass that as FFP) i had an imori splice the other day, the method was not one i've ever seen, the throat was too think for too long then the taper waay too sudden, the cover was also a pretty baggy, alarm bells were ringing, the guy had done it him self & tried to pass it off as a shop splice, i told him where to find correct splice methods & told him to practice a bit before launching into aiming to successfully splice his ppe ropes, since then he's had a skype splicing session with me and is sending a couple of samples to be broken, if you can be sure peoples method is spot on how much breaking is necessary? how often do maufac's have to test their riggers splices?

you can become a maufac & go through the process of being able to CE certify your products, its not at all hard but it is expensive, that's what honeys did.

personally a ce sticker makes up a very, VERY small part of the picture for me when examining kit! some examiners will fail anything without 100% tracability some can make inform decisions based on what they see in front of them and even ask questions of the end user purchaser etc to help them to their final decision.

Indeed, I've only done a very small amount of loler work, in that small amount I have seen a large amount of kit that is untraceable, as in spliced ropes without unique I'd even harnesses with damaged unreadable data tags. Should I fail this kit burdening the climber or company with a fairly large cost? Or make my own judgement as a person fit to do so, is it so black and white? A rope in good condition with a splice that looks and feels correct when compared to other splices of known quality is surely just that or is it:001_smile:

I have touched, felt and used a lot of kit over the years to consider myself fairly confident about making a decision. No I,d or traceability before inspection then let's make it traceable from now on, maybe I am just renegade. But then I've only ever seen one failed splice and that was a bit or New England HiVee with a manufacturers splice sold by Fujikura fully traceable and certified.