LOLER certifiable splices

openboater

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use your professional judgement to determine the "fit for use" but replacement cost should not be a factor in that decision making process.

Sorry poor wording on my part, the point is should I fail kit that is fit for purpose but not uniquely identifiable or traceable? Or should I work with the owner of the equipment and make it identifiable/traceable from now on?

Replacement cost is never a factor in determining if kit is safe!

Sorry poor wording on my part, the point is should I fail kit that is fit for purpose but not uniquely identifiable or traceable? Or should I work with the owner of the equipment and make it identifiable/traceable from now on?

Replacement cost is never a factor in determining if kit is safe!

Not "from now on" but if the owner of the kit can prove its date into service, there is no reason you cant make it a new ID or a new tag with the original number. Any changes should be recorded in the inspection.

Not "from now on" but if the owner of the kit can prove its date into service, there is no reason you cant make it a new ID or a new tag with the original number. Any changes should be recorded in the inspection.

Proof of purchase for the bit if kit bought with cash at the trade show 3 or was it 4 years ago:confused1: can't remember which Tesco's carrier bag it was stored away in mate. I really need my kit lolered because I'm on that construction site next week.

Do I be particularly strict? Forever putting said climber off loler inspectors, or try to take a moderate approach and educate hoping to build a relationship ?

Proof of purchase for the bit if kit bought with cash at the trade show 3 or was it 4 years ago:confused1: can't remember which Tesco's carrier bag it was stored away in mate. I really need my kit lolered because I'm on that construction site next week.

Do I be particularly strict? Forever putting said climber off loler inspectors, or try to take a moderate approach and educate hoping to build a relationship ?

Any kit with a "life" without an audit trail fails.

The ones that are going to moan are going to moan, the criteria for an inspection is fit for use, pass or fail.

The feelings of a client are irrelevant to the inspection.

Edited by treequip

What if I travelled to the UK from NZ and have no record of my gear but it's all in top notch condition? Marc- if I ever have to be lolered you seem to work with common sense and it's a breath of fresh air.

Any kit with a "life" without an audit trail fails.

The ones that are going to moan are going to moan, the criteria for an inspection is fit for use, pass or fail.

The feelings of a client are irrelevant to the inspection.

I feel we could forever go round in circles on this, my personal take is exactly what you say pass or fail it's as clear cut as that. Occasionally I am presented with kit that is hard to determine its trail, tags missing no proof of purchase presented etc, most modern kit is easy, there are unique codes imprinted which can give you the year and month of manufacture so can be used as a guide which in my opinion is good enough with no proof of purchase.

At the end of the day I am not going to fail the rope that is in good condition and ffp that someone has taken the tag of because it would fit through his retrieval clip or wore off in use. I merely have a word make a note and we will continue from there.

What if I travelled to the UK from NZ and have no record of my gear but it's all in top notch condition? Marc- if I ever have to be lolered you seem to work with common sense and it's a breath of fresh air.

Drew, LOLER is just recording the equipment used for work at height.

It's normal in high access work.

Obviously, ultimately it should be down to the user and hopefully LOLER inspection should and could be part of training eventually.

Edited by High Scale

Drew

LOLER is what you already do, if you had to comply to UK LOLER you might have to record a bit more of what you check but that would be all.

LOLER is the UK part of pan European legislation and it only exists because some people can't be trusted not to allow the use of shabby kit.

We are an unfortunate casualty of that situation.