How do you handle timber?

Peter

How do you handle your timber?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How do you handle your timber?

• Ring it up and hand load
    • Own timber truck/ trailer
    • Get someone in

Exactly, she wasn't in to see how quick you did it.

I tend to take a bit longer when the customers in and fly through the job when they're out

she left at 10am, i told her i would be on site for about 11am, when she got back at 2pm she called. she did say she had no idea it would of been done so quickly, but cant believe it has been done so quickly and tidely, and its encouraged her to do some more around the garden.:001_smile:i am not going to slow down for some elses hang ups to me making money, i priced a job yesterday. i told the guy it would be 350, he did the whole. 'oh my god' thats so expensive. i said for 100 quid i will fell it and leave it in his garden:ohmy: i told him i would have it done in 2 hrs for him, he spoke to his wife, bit my hand off and go stuck in. he couldnt pay me quick enough and was all over the mog asking questions, he couldnt believe how much work was involved and was glad he got me as he had a cheaper quote already from someone who wasnt recomended:001_cool:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very successful business man once told me that the customer should be paying for me to ring the wood up.

He couldn't understand why I was taking it back to my yard and ringing it up in "my" time.

I never ring anything up, I sell it in the round to firewood merchants. (Steve)

Even if I did my own firewood I wouldnt ring it up, I'd split it into billets in 7-8 foot lengths and saw them to length with a bench saw. Less wastage, quicker, less mess, and less backache.

I never ring anything up, I sell it in the round to firewood merchants. (Steve)

Even if I did my own firewood I wouldnt ring it up, I'd split it into billets in 7-8 foot lengths and saw them to length with a bench saw. Less wastage, quicker, less mess, and less backache.

:dito:

I know exactly what your saying Stevie, but if there's a lot of competition locally the customer will generally go with the cheapest.

I did one today who did his own leylandii hedge, it took him three days and he hasn't got rid of the waste yet. I told him I'd have done it in two hours maybe one and a half including waste gone.

I think if you work more on the commercail side you can use big tackle and do jobs quickly with no bother, commercail customers understand costings and don't care how quick you do it as long as it's done right and to spec.

Good on you if it's working for you on the domestic side mate, there's nothing Id like better than a big toy to play with. :001_smile:

swings and roundabouts,

with deans view, yes you are being payed to stay on site, so more money from the client as ringing up takes time, or with a crane/similar, you can put the same price in or slightly cheaper-so more chance of getting the job in the first place, do the job twice as quick (or a heck of a lot quicker) with less mess, and go and do another job, earning more moolah, instead of raking tonns of sawdust!

then either sell the wood, or wait untill youre quiet to ring it up at youre yard, where you dont need to worry about the time involved in clearing up sawdust

as an example

couple of weeks ago, went off to take down an oak and HC growing side by side, an other company put in £2700 (no hiab) i arrived on site, with two groundies, 7.5tonn chip lorry, 18 tonn timber lorry, at 7.45am (a bit late!) had it all down, chipped up, loaded on, cleared up, ready to leave site at 10.50am

my luck has just turned dean, remember 2 weeks ago 4 customers changed their mind and didnt tell me, ahhhhhhhh!! the last week has just been good, the perfect jobs, the right kit and more importantly good customers, and i have another 3 on the go as well this week:001_cool:

I am on the fence here.

If a customer has accepted your price, does it matter if it takes 5 minutes or 5 days?

But, like Dean, I think they sometimes want to see you graft for your money because they have no idea about overheads.

A typical job for us will often have side alley access only to a rear garden.

Can anyone recommend a decent truck/trolley for carting 2 man lift size bits out of similar gardens?

Wheelbarrows and sack barrows can do it, but I'm after something that can carry 1/2 ton or so.

DON'T say Dingo/Bobcat or similar. Unless you want to buy me one.