Does anyone use easystart or is it still frowned upon

predator

We used to call it Dope in the plant game as once you started using it the engine seemed to need it ie got Addicted.

Yes to this. I have never really understood the plant engines. A tractor engine will run on it and not get addicted. But use it once in plant engines and they will never start without it again.

We also called it dope, still do.

Personally I hate the stuff. It never helps and fixing the fix as to why it's needed is always better. On diesels it's normally because the glow plugs are shot, if it has any.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a old petter ph1 on a liner bench saw and thats pants to start some days lungs going like bellows etc and just a whiff of the stuff and she,s pop pop popping away but i always try to start it normally first etc till i,am out,a puff lol

does anyone know the real reason why its frowned upon to use easystart as i,ve never buggered an engine using the stuff how could it ??

It contains a lot of nasty, volatile hydrocarbons that pit the cylinder and piston heads, lowering compression, so you don't get the initial firing of the engine without it after increased exposure

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

does anyone know the real reason why its frowned upon to use easystart as i,ve never buggered an engine using the stuff how could it ??

A diesel engine works with a full cylinder of air which is heated during the comprssion stroke to above 300C. At this temperature the droplets of oil light as soon as they are injected and continue burning smoothly until combustion is complete.

To do this succesfully the piston rings have to prevent the air escaping into the crankcase and this is achieved by them having a square edge.

The ether in easy start delivered in the air intake becomes premixed with the air and it then detonates throughout the combustion chamber as the compressed mixture heats up.

The shock from this knocking is the same as pinking in an si engine running on too low octane fuel and it can erode the edge of the ring and air can get under the rounded edge, hence losing compression pressure.

The quite relaxing smell given off by 'easy start' or my favourite i have seen is 'start you bas@*#' is ether as already mentioned, i was taught at tec that as a highly volatile hydrocarbon, it ignites early, occasionly too early which can bend connecting rods. I have actually killed an engine with it (it was scrap anyway) just out of interest i took the head off for a nosey, and sure enough it had bend a few rods. Hence why an engine gets addicted, so the first bend reduces compression ratio, so its harder to start, so more sniff, rod bends further, compression ratio drops again and so on and so on.

If i get a stubborn machine, usually a tier 2 john deere engine with a bosch injector pump i have been known to sniff a bit of brake cleaner up the inlet, namely, ethanol, methanol, methyl ethyl ketone, acetones etc..... But i wouldnt recommend it.

The quite relaxing smell given off by 'easy start' or my favourite i have seen is 'start you bas@*#' is ether as already mentioned, i was taught at tec that as a highly volatile hydrocarbon, it ignites early, occasionly too early which can bend connecting rods. I have actually killed an engine with it (it was scrap anyway) just out of interest i took the head off for a nosey, and sure enough it had bend a few rods. Hence why an engine gets addicted, so the first bend reduces compression ratio, so its harder to start, so more sniff, rod bends further, compression ratio drops again and so on and so on.

If i get a stubborn machine, usually a tier 2 john deere engine with a bosch injector pump i have been known to sniff a bit of brake cleaner up the inlet, namely, ethanol, methanol, methyl ethyl ketone, acetones etc..... But i wouldnt recommend it.

Dimethyl ether would be a good diesel fuel if injected rather than pre mixed. It also has the advantage of being easily synthesized from carbon given cheap (nuclear) energy.

wd40 is a safe alternative to get a diesel to fire if it has a fueling problem.

I often give non starter saws etc, just a whiff of carb cleaner. If they fire then it proves the ignition system is good.

I have done that for several decades and no harm has come from it yet, and none have yet been admitted to The Priory to cure an addiction.