Cyclist insurance campaign

Dean Lofthouse

Sorry you have been sued by a cyclist Dean but as an occasional cyclist myself would not be keen on having to be insured. If insurance was required how do you think it should work? Should anyone who owns a bike pay if no how many time a year do you have to ride to require it? Sounds unworkable to me.

Not signed.

Rich it's not the same as going out in car. A car offers the occupants protection a bike offers non so a cyclist riding badly is taking their own life into their hands. Should runners have insurance?

Edited by Woodworks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it comes down to resources and space- but more cycle paths/lanes are the answer, but where do you stop. Honestly there is nothing worse than seeing a cyclist squeezing down the side of the road being overtaken by artic lorries and the like, particularly in the dark when all you can see in front of you is a load of red lights, it only takes someone changing the radio or something. I feel the same about runners and horse riders too.All these kinds of activities should be encouraged but perhaps something done to make the whole thing more streamlined/safer

Sorry you have been sued by a cyclist Dean but as an occasional cyclist myself would not be keen on having to be insured. If insurance was required how do you think it should work? Should anyone who owns a bike pay if no how many time a year do you have to ride to require it? Sounds unworkable to me.

Not signed.

Rich it's not the same as going out in car. A car offers the occupants protection a bike offers non so a cyclist riding badly is taking their own life into their hands. Should runners have insurance?

As an occasional cyclist, you are already covered if you have house insurance. It's also about making cyclists aware they are already covered.

I am also a cyclist, I would not want to hit someone, then they sue me and I lose everything. It's about accepting responsibility and I don't see why cyclists shouldn't. We are probably talking an extra £20 a year for peace of mine for both us as cyclists and the injured party if you are not already covered.

Household insurance covers you for most sports pursuits, so I am not asking for anything that isn't already there, just to make it a legal requirement.

Skyhuck, you would only need registrations if the cyclist did a hit and run, in that case he would be breaking the law anyway by cycling off from the scene, insurance or no insurance

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

You can't ride in the cycle lanes round here for cars parked half on the pavement. Don't give the insurance companies another opportunity to screw money out of me, they get enough already. I hate to see adults riding cycles on the pavement they should have insurance or be prosecuted for that.

On what grounds did the cyclist sue you Dean?

He ran into a barrier across a cycle lane whilst looking down at his pedals when he was changing gear.

I could have signed it better, he could have been watching where he was going better blah de blah.

Even if the site was properly signed with big flashy orange lights and sirens and a helicopter hovering to warn people. There is still an element of the blame apportioned to you, you will never be 100 percent blame free.

If the barrier was there, the accident wouldn't have happened and the way the lawyer see it is there is some blame, whether it be 99% his fault or 99% my fault. The assessor roughly apportioned it as 90% his fault and 10% mine so he would only get 10% of the claim able amount.

The solicitors however always get 100 % of their fees. The no win no fee solicitors only use the claimer as a pawn.

http://www.britishcycling.org then check Third Party Liability Insurance in the search box. Been available 40 years and should be law. I ride often and am disgusted with the poor attitude of some people running red lights, using pavements, no helmets and dark suicide clothing and often riding two abreast on narrow rural roads. In addition a licence plate would help to stop bikes being stolen. Edited by TRADITIONAL LOGGERS