Top handle is it the end.

sideshow bob

He said he can sell non professional type top handled saws to anyone and u don't need to show ur ticket.

Makes no sense he cant sell a ms200 but can sell a cheap copy of it?

He is wrong.

He should see a ticket for ANY top handle. No ticket = No sale.

But of course there are plenty who break the rules. They will help to bring in the ban.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is wrong.

But of course there are plenty who break the rules. They will help to bring in the ban.

there wont be a ban, we've been through this before, all the issues were covered by Paolo Bavaresco's/Treevolution 2001 document to the HSE.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/crr_pdf/2001/crr01402.pdf

, i usually tried to cut to make sure hinge would be weak and break off (not really best practice i'd imagine)

Dunno, I can't see any real reason for wanting it to hold onto the hinge for long once it's on it's way over, especially when knocking big racks out in the woods.

I read the comments under the photo too - I might be miles off the mark but it read to me as though the guy hadn't been doing it very long.

He is wrong.

Or is he?

The agreement was between the existing players at the time and the HSE.

If the new boy wasn't party to that, he isn't bound by it.

From the sound of it these rumblings are from the EU and as such will have nothing to do with the UK HSE agreement.

Or is he?

The agreement was between the existing players at the time and the HSE.

If the new boy wasn't party to that, he isn't bound by it.

From the sound of it these rumblings are from the EU and as such will have nothing to do with the UK HSE agreement.

It is now an industry code of practice, but that aside, I do not see how he can differentiate between 'Pro' and 'Non pro' quality top handle saws.

He either abides by the code or not, in my book.

OK, so it could be that Stihl insist and Kung Po do not.

Simple fact is with your other hand free and not holding a handle, it's able to get in the way. Your cutting, the bit comes down awkwardly and you instinctively react by putting your hand in front of your face straight through the bar of the saw and chop your arm off.

Cutting and holding, get caught on the bit that drops, forget to let go.... it goes on.

You cant balance a ground saw with one hand for that reason.

Want to bet? You've not seen my forearms. Like I said, it's what we did before top handled saws.

It is now an industry code of practice, but that aside, I do not see how he can differentiate between 'Pro' and 'Non pro' quality top handle saws.

He either abides by the code or not, in my book.

OK, so it could be that Stihl insist and Kung Po do not.

The code of practice is about the use and the HSE have some teeth in that, this is about the sale and they are all about voluntary in that

Stihl and husky signed up to the agreement and it is they who would reprimand the dealer for selling off the book, if the other brands weren't around to sign up there is no sanction available against him unless the HSE get them to get on board.

Seems like a more sensitive inertia chain brake could be developed that would lessen kickback injuries IMO.

That combined with a throttle trigger that must be pressed beyond its idling point to release the chain brake would be very conducive to safer chainsaw use by both pros and home owners etc.

Jomoco