Good climber?

Mesterh

How do you rate your climbing.  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate your climbing.

• Sammy Snail, should be a window cleaner really.
    • Terry Turtle, could try being a roofer.
    • Joe average, I know how to use a rope.
    • Fast Eddie, Like a breeze through the branches.
    • Billy Whizz, Newtons laws dont apply here.

I had a theory about this poll and its all gone Pete Tong.

45% at average come on fellas we have bigger egos than that! :001_tongue:

jk jk no I like to see a bit of honesty and tbh imo for some reason I think that tree lads/lasses seem to be a lot more down to earth than anyone else I have ever met.

Funny thread mesterh i really thought more people would of put themselves above average.

The replies are intresting to read, i've worked with a few climbers who've been at the top of there game for over 10years and have got away without any real injury or major damage other than a broken roof tile or busted fence panel, these guys are an inspiration to me, hopefully one day i'll be able to match them.

In my short time as an arborist i've easily worked with 20 plus climbers most were average work a day arborists, a few were down right dangerous, even fewer really gifted.

I work with one climber who when faced with a Leylandii reduction he gets up there with a silky and secatuers patiently reducing back to sub branches then tipping the sub branches to give a really nice rounded shape, where as i'm up there wielding my 200t like its a machette sything pieces off.

The most annoying thing is he still usually finishes before me:confused1:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work as fast as my groundies can clear the mess up haha....to be honest when i first started climbing i used ti try and climb and work as fast as humanly possible because thats wot i thought a good climber did? How wrong i was,after a few near misses and a few slashes with thee old silky i decided that my life is probably more important than finishing faster? haha

Il say im average, ive been climbing for about 2years and have tackled an aray of jobs, from easy "cut and chuck" to dismantling over greenhouses, fences etc.

Im pleased to say i havnt caused any damage to myself, or items around/underneith the tree. Unless you count the odd divet in the lawn from branch butts.

I'm not actually sure, I have not really climbed allongside many others to compare myself with. I haven't broken much, and I've never found a tree I couldn't do, I've a friend who I think is faster than me at cut and chuck type work, but I've also seen a few climbers who are slower too.

Speed isn't everything, nothing worse than a climber who flies round a tree leaving a big nest of brash at the bottom, then walks off and smokes while the poor groundies have to deal with it.

There is a huge difference between a "fast" and a "efficient" climber, its no good racing round the tree like a squirrel making cuts here there and everywhere with no method or dropping off braches so that it makes it more difficult for the ground crew to sift lumps of cord off the brash!!

I'd like to think over the years I have become more systematical/produtive I now climb less when in the tree - even stack/spin the branches the right way round for the groundies.

There is a huge difference between a "fast" and a "efficient" climber, its no good racing round the tree like a squirrel making cuts here there and everywhere with no method or dropping off braches so that it makes it more difficult for the ground crew to sift lumps of cord off the brash!!

I'd like to think over the years I have become more systematical/produtive I now climb less when in the tree - even stack/spin the branches the right way round for the groundies.

:thumbup1:

i am looking at your avatar tom, 200 foot pine, i think you are certainly above average mate.

Any one can climb high, thats just a question of balls.:001_tongue: But its nice of you to say so.:001_smile:

I reckon the key to being good is being organised and thinking about what you're going to do before you do it, planning your way round a dismantle before you leave the ground is a good start, picking lowering points and routes for rope, drop zones etc.

• 2 weeks later...