1973 TPO and trees grown since

treebloke

I have a client who has an area TPO made in 1973 so everything on the site which was there in that year is covered. There are many self set Sycamores which have grown since the TPO was implemented and therefore not protected by the order and some of these are quite obvious. The species list in the order is not helpful because it simply say's any species on the site and does not give a list of what was there at the time. However, some are now semi mature and we need some sort of guideline to work to in order to know the general size of a 41 year old Sycamore and what can be removed.

My question is does anyone here know roughly the size of a 30, 35, 40 or 45 year old Sycamore. If you are taking any down soon and you know the age maybe you could measure the dia when cut at ground level. Any help appreciated.

Roughly one inch in circumference for each year.

Are you certain that the trees that have grown since the TPO was made are not protected by it?

Because if it was a woodland TPO, all new trees would be protected.

Edited by TreeTiger

Needs careful attention as what is someones tangle of woodland is another persons (especially neighbours) magical habitat for flora and fauna.

I would get the TO to visit and agree in writing a work programme. You could ask outright for the TPO to be reviewed.

You need to match up your clients view of the future for the site and the LPA.s view of importance to the vicinity.

I agree with the comments above ie, get the TO out there and agree any works.

As a rule of thumb, you could measure the DBH of the tree at 1.3m from the ground (not 1.5) and multiply the answer by 1.25. This is a *rough* age, but can be used for starting a discussion. It obviously doesn't take into account different species growth rates etc.

Another method used by the FC can be found here (although this is meant for larger trees, it may be transferable to smaller). This is a more complex way of ageing trees but is more accurate.

I had an experience of this myself. Involve the TO at the early stages and agree by marking which trees can be removed. If there are lots be aware of felling licence rules. The TO I dealt with was pragmatic and it is relatively obvious which are self-set trees. You could cut the smallest and age that as a benchmark for the TO to remark on.

Roughly one inch in circumference for each year.

Are you certain that the trees that have grown since the TPO was made are not protected by it?

Because if it was a woodland TPO, all new trees would be protected.

Yes, only the trees on site at the time the TPO was made are the ones protected, the tree officer has confirmed this to be fact so I just need to clarify what was there.

Yes, only the trees on site at the time the TPO was made are the ones protected, the tree officer has confirmed this to be fact so I just need to clarify what was there.

There should be a list of species and possibly number.

I agree with the comments above ie, get the TO out there and agree any works.

As a rule of thumb, you could measure the DBH of the tree at 1.3m from the ground (not 1.5) and multiply the answer by 1.25. This is a *rough* age, but can be used for starting a discussion. It obviously doesn't take into account different species growth rates etc.

Another method used by the FC can be found here (although this is meant for larger trees, it may be transferable to smaller). This is a more complex way of ageing trees but is more accurate.

That looks like a really good method, just wished I knew how to apply it.

All of the Sycamores on site are either, saplings, young or semi mature, the parent tree was taken down in 2005 to make way for a car park and the ones left will have come from that. There are no mature Sycamores on site any more. I really doubt if any of the current Sycamores would have been there in 1973 and hence the reason why I want to age them.