working on a building site

54gka

I had 5 guys, two trucks, big chipper sent away from a job a few weeks back as we didn't all have our cscs cards..! This was after I had emailed Method Statements, SSRA, generic RA, insurance etc, etc...

The most annoying thing is if they had told me I would have sent guys with cscs cards! I have not done the course. But been told it is pretty simple if you have read the book. Costs around £100.

On site inductions can be a real PAIN.. We have wasted hours waiting around being "inducted" on sites. Irritating if it is only a small job..

Also remember that the builder will probably knock off 20% for the CIS scheme and take at least 6 months to pay you! If they don't go bust..

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had 5 guys, two trucks, big chipper sent away from a job a few weeks back as we didn't all have our cscs cards..! This was after I had emailed Method Statements, SSRA, generic RA, insurance etc, etc...

The most annoying thing is if they had told me I would have sent guys with cscs cards! I have not done the course. Bit been told it is pretty simple if you have read the book. Costs around £100.

On site inductions can be a real PAIN.. We have wasted hours waiting around being "inducted" on sites. Irritating if it is only a small job..

Also remember that the builder will probably knock off 20% for the CIS scheme and take at least 6 months to pay you! If they don't go bust..

Only the labour element of the invoice, not all the materials or plant you supply. :wink:

The most annoying thing is if they had told me I would have sent guys with cscs cards! I have not done the course. But been told it is pretty simple if you have read the book. Costs around £100.

If you can tie your boots you can pass that test

Here is a sample question.

You are using a power tool on site, it gets hot and stars smoking do you.

A. Drop it and run away

B. Put it in a bucket of water

C. Un plug it and tell your supervisor

the only time I've been asked for one, I asked if they wanted the job done or not, they called me, not the other way round, was ready to walk away before the site boss said I didnt require it, just get the job done, tend to get pissed off with all there stupid nanny state rules these days

If you can tie your boots you can pass that test

Here is a sample question.

You are using a power tool on site, it gets hot and stars smoking do you.

A. Drop it and run away

B. Put it in a bucket of water

C. Un plug it and tell your supervisor

I liked the one about rats on site where one of the options was 'take a large cat to work with you'. :lol:

Arboriculture & forestry is now covered by Land based Industry Skills Scheme so you would need to contact BALI.

I've worked for large & small construction firms & they are all a pain in the backside, especially when it comes to payment of invoices. They always seem to contact me when work is a bit slack so I can't say no.

I just got asked to tender for a job on a new housing development. There was quite a bit of work. I read all the tree report and no big deal there but upon reading the terms and conditions you find that payment will be at least 61 days from completion and they will withold a certain percentage until they are happy with what you have done. I declined the offer. I don't see why I should wait to be paid for that length of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I do tree work on construction sites & as long as the contractor has your UTR number CSCS has not been needed so enquire with the contractor first before you pay for the card.

Bad advice, your UTR has nothing to do with a cscs card