Husqvarna and Stihl HP Ultra

Pinkfoot

Actually the other way round Mark

HP Ultra, apparently their finest oil, is only FB rated.

whereas

HP Super, a cheaper oil is rated FD

Both are fully synthetic

Standard HP is mineral oil based and also FB

Now, I really do not get it, we are told time and time again that the highest FD ratings are the best, yet Stihl's best is only FB.

Many cheaper oils from other brands are much higher spec, but not all are good oils.

I suspect that the F ratings are only a small part of the story, but it is a bit of a minefield and from experience we know that some so called highly spec'd oils offer little engine protection.

Ooops, sorry:blushing:

Yep your correct on that one.

I knew I shouldnt have typed it out, I had been though all of this with a customer through the week(the weird ratings) checked twice and still typed it out wrong.

Although I have the HP super down as a semi synthetic but I will be treble checking on that one.:laugh1:

In regards to the OP tbh im not sure about running the ULtra at 33:1.

I presume the ultra is a very good high quality oil and would have no problem running at 50:1 in the XP saws and that the recommendation of 33:1 is to cover mainly using a non brand poorer oil.

Ill have to check what Stihl recommend ie are they saying the same about 33:1 using FB?

On the stihl web site it says the ultra is JASO-FD, ISO-L-EGD. Fuel/oil ratio 1:50. but in the catalogue its says JASO-FB, ISO-L-EGB!:confused1:

They do use the ultra in their motomix.

I dont stock the ultra so I cant say what it says on the bottle.

Anyway this is detracting from the OP question so sorry for any derailing or misleading info.

Best if I leave it up to someone else to confirm I think.

On the stihl web site it says the ultra is JASO-FD, ISO-L-EGD. Fuel/oil ratio 1:50. but in the catalogue its says JASO-FB, ISO-L-EGB!:confused1:

They do use the ultra in their motomix.

I dont stock the ultra so I cant say what it says on the bottle.

Anyway this is detracting from the OP question so sorry for any derailing or misleading info.

Best if I leave it up to someone else to confirm I think.

I have to admit my info was taken from the catalogue. So if it is wrong then so am I, and I apologise for correcting you Mark.

But if Stihl print things in the catalogue then they should at least get it right.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396134290.991013.jpg.e63ac033280a7d63a10d39804c5012d4.jpg

I switched to HP Super (green oil) a few years ago and my Stihl saws have been running fine on the recommended 50:1 mix. I will be doing compression checks soon so that will be interesting . Attached are the front and back photos of a 5 litre container of HP Super and as Pinkfoot says, not a lot of detail just 50:1 and ISO-LEGD. No mention of JASO-FD or JASO-FB. When I bought this I was told it was semi-synthetic and at the time, the HP Ultra was a lot more expensive so I decided to go for this in order to give more protection than the original Stihl red 2 stroke oil.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1396134277.844311.jpg.39a995a90b84780bbac3fa552d13e41d.jpg

• Like 1

A group round here bought a new MS 880 from a dealer. The owner of the shop/dealer reckons he's been out to the factory and got all the gumph... and gumph it is.

He told the bloke with the cheque book, that he reckoned the saw on Super would need something like 40:1 maybe even 33:1 for the first few tanks. This info he gleaned from info given at the factory. I tried telling the said bloke, (gleaned from Arbtalk info) that it was the oil that dictates the mix ratio. But he wouldn't have it.

So the first 10Ltrs. of premix went into the can at 33:1 and the result:

•It's a pig to start

•It's a pig to run

•Oils up and floods before it can be started

•During the first day's outing, every time an attempt was made to start it, it was a pig, flooded and plug had to be withdrawn & cleaned.

•I had my combi filled with Aspen and offered some. But the reply was on the lines of, "The dealer said... And he knows best."

A clear case of, "You can lead a horse to water. But you can't make it drink it."

Edited by TGB
  • Like 1

[ATTACH]152481[/ATTACH][ATTACH]152482[/ATTACH]

I switched to HP Super (green oil) a few years ago and my Stihl saws have been running fine on the recommended 50:1 mix. I will be doing compression checks soon so that will be interesting . Attached are the front and back photos of a 5 litre container of HP Super and as Pinkfoot says, not a lot of detail just 50:1 and ISO-LEGD. No mention of JASO-FD or JASO-FB. When I bought this I was told it was semi-synthetic and at the time, the HP Ultra was a lot more expensive so I decided to go for this in order to give more protection than the original Stihl red 2 stroke oil.

There is no mention of ISO-LEGD on the Ultra bottle.Important information ,missing!

• Like 1

There is no mention of ISO-L-EGD on the Ultra bottle.Important information ,missing!

As long as it has the FC or FD rating and is self mixing you should be fine with what oil you have. The ISO is just another equivalent rating system.