Arborist or Forester ... ?

Pipmac

Forestry work is harder. I have done both but forestry tough. Doing 5L of fuel a day through a 560xp isn't easy going but then again climbing is no easy day.

Climbing is the easiest job on site, you get the glamour and glory and swing a bit cut a bit wait a bit while under paid over beasted groundes drag branches and wrestle logs while you watch on with a birds eye view

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Climbing is the easiest job on site, you get the glamour and glory and swing a bit cut a bit wait a bit while under paid over beasted groundes drag branches and wrestle logs while you watch on with a birds eye view

And we get all the girls too...

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

And we get all the girls too...

You might only be down the road from me but round here girls don't drop there inhibition for the smell of two stroke and sawdust.

Perhaps I should widen me patch a bit

Nice one!

Yep, come rain, sleet or snow... and occasionally sun. And is there's plant on the move, well that adds a another dimension and the need for eyes in the back of your head.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1395487559.763921.jpg.be9ca4932dcd52f8ec069de2e69b4290.jpg

Yup, no expensive machines to miss. Though instead of felling away you're felling towards the £300k machine.

[ATTACH]151884[/ATTACH]

Yup, no expensive machines to miss. Though instead of felling away you're felling towards the £300k machine.

The worst ones are where you fell towards the machine and lay it up the side. If you miss you hit the engine:thumbdown:

:thumbup1:

Couldn't agree more. Climbers think they have the hard job. Then they start moaning at the groundies that they are too slow. Or my huge pet hate is getting there attention by revving there saw....a groundie will look up, just wait a few seconds. The saw rev just makes me ignore them a little while longer and carry on.

Utter crap. On the subject of climbing, that is. Sometimes it's easier, single stem dismantles etc, but tip reductions, large deadwoods etc, the groundy can easily keep up where the climber has to dash about. Every job is different. If you can get the van/chipper to the tree it makes life easier on the deck.

There are different types of climber to consider too. I take it you refer to the "smash it out and let 'em deal with it" climber. A decent climber on the other hand will either put a bit more work in, cut smaller pieces so the lads can keep up, or get it done quick so they can come down and pitch in on the deck.

My point is it's nowhere near as clear cut as some of you (probably with little climbing experience) make out.

On the subject of arb vs forestry, I can't comment.

Utter crap. On the subject of climbing, that is. Sometimes it's easier, single stem dismantles etc, but tip reductions, large deadwoods etc, the groundy can easily keep up where the climber has to dash about. Every job is different. If you can get the van/chipper to the tree it makes life easier on the deck.

There are different types of climber to consider too. I take it you refer to the "smash it out and let 'em deal with it" climber. A decent climber on the other hand will either put a bit more work in, cut smaller pieces so the lads can keep up, or get it done quick so they can come down and pitch in on the deck.

My point is it's nowhere near as clear cut as some of you (probably with little climbing experience) make out.

On the subject of arb vs forestry, I can't comment.

I have yet to see a climber "dash" about. Maybe a slow swing to get into a position, but no dash.

Ground work is easily the hardest part, no matter what the job. Rushing around to keep the climber happy. Then dragging crap all day, and not to mention the chipping, raking and cleaning up the mess.

Of course finding a climber who actually helps out when he comes down is a bit like hens teeth.

In my experiences climbers are just arrogant. They generally have no idea of what is going on below. And either don't care or are too busy enjoying to view.

Of course there is always that rare moment when a climber worth his weight comes along..... At some point.

I have yet to see a climber "dash" about. Maybe a slow swing to get into a position, but no dash.

Ground work is easily the hardest part, no matter what the job. Rushing around to keep the climber happy. Then dragging crap all day, and not to mention the chipping, raking and cleaning up the mess.

Of course finding a climber who actually helps out when he comes down is a bit like hens teeth.

In my experiences climbers are just arrogant. They generally have no idea of what is going on below. And either don't care or are too busy enjoying to view.

Of course there is always that rare moment when a climber worth his weight comes along..... At some point.

Sounds like you haven't worked with a decent climber then. Its a team effort, and crashing it down doesn't get the job done faster. If the ground lads have to negotiate a nest of tangled branches below then it actually slows the job down, not to mention creates hazards.

Have you got any experience climbing in a work scenario Rich? If not I can't see how you're qualified to state as absolutely as you have which role is easier.

I think they're both hard. It all depends on how you work, the type of job your doing, the terrain, type of tree, client etc. You don't get koi carp ponds, greenhouses or powerlines in the woods. You don't have to clear up much in the woods. Granted, the day rate/piece rate in the woods is pretty poor so lots of felling snedding and humping to get your money. Also lots of waiting for your money.

So, back to the thread, Stihl or Husky, Landrover or Jap

No powerlines in woods? I work utilities, there are definitely more powerlines in woods than gardens!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App