Be alert - tracking devices

Treewolf

I thought it was worth mentioning this on here, hopefully no-one's yet suffered this.

We are all nowadays alert to vehicles which seem to be following us round, possibly trying to find yards, depots, tool stores, etc.

On a Landrover forum I am on, a member from Durham has just found a magnetic tracker stuck behind the rear crossmember of his virtually brand new Defender 90 (and no, it was not out there by the dealer). A similar thing is reported as having been found by someone on a Lotus forum.

He has taken it to the police who, perhaps predictably, were not interested and told him to throw it away. The guy is of course now paranoid about security, understandably so.

The device is a GPS based unit with a foreign SIM card in it, and googling shows that it is of a type which can be bought for around £150, which I suppose is a cheap investment if it allows you to steal a Defender.

It is also apparently becoming the preferred way for the scumbags to find steal-to-order vehicles since they only have to see it on the street, whack a tracker on, and they know where you live. It also seems to me that it is the perfect way to find out where you keep tools and equipment.

So be alert! If it hasn't happened yet in the arb world I am (sadly) sure it is just a matter of time.

(There have incidentally been many suggestions as to what the guy who found it should do with it)!

Have seen some small trackers on eBay recently ship direct from china only cost £10 charge it up pop a SIM card in and 7 days battery life

Perfect for hiding in a saw overnight

I was going to post one to someone I needed to find and let the postal redirect find them for me with the aid of the tracker

But for a thief at £10 each they are disposable if they lead them to the gear they need

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Have you got a link for the trackers? Would be interested in the size of the unit. Slap one of them on your vehicle(or any equipment), and your then one step ahead of them.

Thanks

This appears to be the same as the one the guy found on his Defender > Live Personel, Pet, Vehicle Tracker + Surveillance Tracking - GPS Tracking

Apparently the matter has now been referred to Northumbria police who are taking it rather more seriously than Durham police did, which can only be good news.

If you want to fit a tracker permanently to a vehicle of your own you are much better off with a wired tracker carefully hidden. There have been very good reports on some of the cheap trackers now sold on Ebay, which provide a very cost-effective option. Fit it yourself and use your imagination and it is likely to be harder to find that many professionally fitted ones.

Surely thats hear say ? All you have to do is google said victim and hey presto 90% of the info you require is there free and no comebacks ?

Sorry, but I am really not sure what point you're making!

Yes, it's hearsay because I don't know the person concerned, and yes, knowing how to search on the web I can find out a disturbing amount of personal information about this particular person, probably far more than he realises. The person who placed the tracker on the Landrover probably hasn't (or at least hadn't) the first idea who owns the vehicle in question though.

But that isn't the point.

The point is that for around £200 lowlife villains can, if you're not extremely vigilant, now find out exactly where you live/keep your equipment without hoaving to follow you. It may be that it isn't happening yet, but it is a possibility and one which I feel those of us who work hard for a living should be aware of.

For the avoidance of doubt, it is illegal to track a vehicle without the driver's knowledge (and this extends to the fact that if you have a hidden real-time tracker fitted to your vehicle you must make anyone you allow to drive aware of its fitment). The Regulation of Investigatory Powers (Covert Surveillance and Property Interference: Code of Practice) Order 2010 stipulates that a tracking device may only be authorised by an authority empowered by the Police Act 1997 and may only be used for the prevention and detection of ‘serious crime’.