curved decking

simonm

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can get the board to curve by heating it, either with a wallpaper stripper or a hot air gun. You need to get it really hot but not scorched so if you use a hot air gun wrap it in rag and keep it damp. You can get some serious curves this way if needed.

Alec

We've curved timber before by putting loads of little cuts along the back with the chop saw worked really well but i don't think it would be much good with decking. I will get me thinking cap on.

what section of wood is needing to be curved here, 6"x2"???

is it a joist?

most people do the decking grooved side up because it is fashionable this way, however, i always recommend doing it flat side up - 100% more contact with footware, and you don't need to steam clean the muck/moss/mildew/etc from the grooves.

a lot of cutting/measuring but ,make most of your frame as normal,when you get to where your curve is going to be,make that part as a 10/12 sided piece, ie make 5 degree cuts on you frame and join with noggins from behind,sand corners down then overhang your deck boards by an inch , i have had good results doing it this way

P1000922.JPGJust my tuppence here,for an structural support on the curve of your deck choose the springiest piece of wood in your stockpile immerse in water…up to 4 days if you can, or we made up a length of ducting as a container….. hot/boiling water to start with……. (Hot water power hose ) and give it a top up of heat every few hours after 8 hours or so start fitting to the frame…..offer it up to the frame……assuming it is a 16 foot length and you are framed at 16'' centers.

Heres the trick….first screw on a short bit of timber to the bottom or top of each joist…. then as you start forming it to the frame it will sit correctly,

When it bends, each point of contact with the frame will move slightly,so you have to allow the timber to move laterally so 3 people would be ideal to attach …,it will take a bit of finessing to get it right but will give good results…don't drive fixings home until you are happy with the result….. i have used this method on 4x2 6x2 9x3 timber but success depends on the timber chosen… knots =trouble…. for wide radius curves on a raised deck you might consider doubling up with a secondjpgboard making sure you overlap any joins use impact glue between boards…..

for non structural skirt just use wet 1inch board and force it on and attach….. again if you like double up….. sorry photos are not showing:blushing:

A simple way to do a curved edge is to lay your boards so they extend beyond the edge, mark your curve, then cut it with a sabre saw. Underneath, your rim joist will be a series of small pieces, angled according to their position relative to the curve, attached between your main support joists.

You could also notch your edge board, so that it can be bent. Every cut will let in moisture though..

Another option is that you could rip thin, bendable strips put of your decking, stake or clamp you curve profile, then laminate the strips back together with outdoor rated wood glue in the shape you want.

Hi

Here are a couple of examples I use for building and edging curved decks. The spider web structure allows you to run joist supports close to the edge of the curve without subsequent sagging.

I use a stainless steel band fixed to the joist ends to neatly conceal and protect them. A steel stockholder/fabricator can cut the steel into strips that are the same depth as your joists, a quick and cost effective solution. Cheers

DeckStructure_zps7e520d65.jpg

DeckComplete_zpsa06976f7.jpg

SReaEntrancePathRight_zps50ae1b4e.jpg

2010_0827003_zpsec484384.jpg