Cables and pipes

Fencing

Hi All,

Im about to dig a trench from my house to my yard (75 meters ish) I need to put water down there and am going to put an armoured (electric) cable too, should I put a Cat5 cable down whilst at it? I want to put cctv possibly electric gate etc?

I would stick a duct with a draw cord in the trench before backfilling.

That will cover most things, 100mm would be good but 50mm will be ok for the smaller stuff, keep it deep if you can.

I did work on a large private drive a couple of years ago, and we tried to future proof it with regard to being dug up again in the near future. We put in a spare 100mm, spare 50mm and a 125mm perforated gas duct.

They may never be used but worth putting in the trench whilst open.

A 50mm duct will sort the gate, even if it ends up being wireless.

H-A

Edited by H-A

I would stick a duct with a draw cord in the trench before backfilling.

That will cover most things, 100mm would be good but 50mm will be ok for the smaller stuff, keep it deep if you can.

I did work on a large private drive a couple of years ago, and we tried to future proof it with regard to being dug up again in the near future. We put in a spare 100mm, spare 50mm and a 125mm perforated gas duct.

They may never be used but worth putting in the trench whilst open.

H-A

:thumbup1:

as a spark, put at least 2 ducts, seperate extra low voltage to low voltage, eg you dont want telecom in the same duct as mains voltage cable. i would say 100mm duct for mains and 50mm for telecom. put at least 5 draw strings through each 1. If in the future you have a cable in the duct allready and you need to add another theres a good chance you'll damage the existing cable if you rod the cable through. make sure that each side of the draw stings are well tied onto a batten hammered in the ground either side so they cant be pulled out when the first cable is pulled in. As for the cat5e i would personally use armoured cat5e or amoured telecom cable underground, the water will quickly destroy any unarmored cable. Oh and a seperate duct for the water ofcourse!

Hi All,

Im about to dig a trench from my house to my yard (75 meters ish) I need to put water down there and am going to put an armoured (electric) cable too, should I put a Cat5 cable down whilst at it? I want to put cctv possibly electric gate etc?

I'm late to this and others have advised using ducts. If you are going to need to deal with any of the utility suppliers, gas, electricity openreach and water then you might have problems putting it all in one trench. UKPower networks required a 2m wayleave to bring a 72kVA supply to our site and would allow no other utilities to share.

There is a 2003 NJUG leaflet which describes the separation of utilities in a 2m footway, basically you need about 300mm separation between ducts.

I'm late to this and others have advised using ducts. If you are going to need to deal with any of the utility suppliers, gas, electricity openreach and water then you might have problems putting it all in one trench. UKPower networks required a 2m wayleave to bring a 72kVA supply to our site and would allow no other utilities to share.

There is a 2003 NJUG leaflet which describes the separation of utilities in a 2m footway, basically you need about 300mm separation between ducts.

I think what he is doing is the equivalent of electricity to the shed in a back garden.

Isn't it mad that there are other sparks on this forum for tree cutters lolllsssss

Any way screwfix is a good a place as any for electrical supplies but there are wholesalers who you may want to consider edmundsons or newey & eyre might are always an option!!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk