Death by Strimmer?

Rowan Girl

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would stick a sheet of corrugated cardboard down before the mulch (old cardboard box minus any plastic tape). This suppresses the weeds even better and the worms love the glue in the cardboard so they help aerate the soil.

I have seen much worse than this grow back - so long as it doesn't get silverleaf (and you should be OK for this as they are just starting to grow) you will probably find the bark grows right over it by the end of the year, the tree being young.

Alec

Alec

Vaseline not a bad idea; something to prevent moisture loss.

In defense of your husband, when grass is grown up to the trunk, how is one to control it, with scissors?

Before you mulch, you might want to pull back grass and dirt and find the flare, where the first root grows off the trunk.

If you have to dig down to find the flare, that's a problem. Post an image of the flare, for more good news!

may get canker after a while as it tries to repair. If you only have 1 or 2 fruit trees then try a covering product which seals the bark, its available from garden centres. I cant remember the name, you simply paint it on the areas strimmed and leave to dry. If you have lots of cherry and fruit trees then take it out as if it does get it later on then it will pass the canker on to the rest of your stock. Hope this gives a little help

Did you choose to plant the tree so close to the fence do to lack of space?. Considering how large this tree can become in a few years I would have never planted any tree so close to a fence. Difficult to rationalize the damage done by your "strimmer man".

My shorter better half use to mow the lawn with the Snapper and though it was funny with myself following behind with my line trimmer or "strimmer" leveling all the streaks she would leave behind since she was to lazy to cut slower and use reverse.

She has been banned from all future Snapper use, for many good reasons.

I would suggest in future leaving all new trees with plenty of future growth space, remove all turf 24" from the trunk outward with a native type mulch as ground cover.

easy-lift guy