new 441 c-m problems

shillo

a chap i have been working for had a problem with his 441cm - new carb was fitted. first time out after it used an unbelievable amount of fuel. two or three cuts through a 21inch ash butt and the it had used a tank!!!! the dealers took it back in, it has been going to an fro with no fix.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me shudder reading this sort of thread.

I've always bought Stihl, the local dealer is 15 mins up the road and they have given me years of good service and advice. I'd be reluctant to leave them for the Dark Side. The Stihl name always stood for reliability rather than super high revving/ fast cutting saws. Seems like buying one of their newer models is a bit of a punt these days?

Thankfully I've stuck with the old model saws and haven't had to tackle any of the dodgy electrickery yet.

BAH, HUMBUG !!! :001_tt2:

I will check the plug colour tomorrow.

As soon as you take your finger off the throttle you hear the revs drop off so low it either stalls immediately or it will pick up a little, but always sound like its just about to stall. Put the saw on the floor and it will just about tick over then stall when you pick it up. always sounds 'bubbly' at high revs at work.

Ive got a 441 manual tune saw on my lewis winch, never been a problem.

This saw was great for the first few months till it stalled mid cut, a new carb, now its nothing but trouble.

You can't actually buy the manual tune 441 anymore can you?

I will check the plug colour tomorrow.

As soon as you take your finger off the throttle you hear the revs drop off so low it either stalls immediately or it will pick up a little, but always sound like its just about to stall. Put the saw on the floor and it will just about tick over then stall when you pick it up. always sounds 'bubbly' at high revs at work.

Ive got a 441 manual tune saw on my lewis winch, never been a problem.

This saw was great for the first few months till it stalled mid cut, a new carb, now its nothing but trouble.

You can't actually buy the manual tune 441 anymore can you?

No, but you can still get a ms461 which is manual tune. I got one instead of the 441 just beacuse of the auto tune. And i'm glad i did after reading this. Cracking saw on a 20" bar btw! :)

The stalling after each cut is and interesting one, it can be the saw running too rich and puddling the excess fuel in the crankcase, may be and air leak or even the opposite - too lean.

Unfortunately you can't tell what the auto tune is doing - is the plug the correct colour - light tan?

Checked the plug today and its black not light tan.

So what does that mean then?

Checked the plug today and its black not light tan.

So what does that mean then?

It is running rich, the bubbling noise is heavy fourstroking and the bad idle is being caused by the build up of fuel in the crankcase not being burnt.

In my world, I would ensure he air filter is clean and then adjust the H screw clockwise - no hope for you:thumbdown:

For interest - take off the air filter and do a cuple of cuts and see if it is better - DONT run it for anymore like this. Removing the airfilter should make it lean up but the autotune may just richen it up further.

Check the choke is coming fully off - no telling what the autotune is doing!

Yes i have tried resetting the carb as in the instructions, with the bar and chain off also, ran for a minute etc. This just seams to make the saw smoke a lot for a second or two, sounds rough then clears, start cutting, then starts stalling again after nearly every cut.

Its the black oily plug that concerns me.

Spoke to dealer again and they agreed to take it back again, reluctantly!

hopefully get a replacement saw this time.

Sorry spud i did not bother taking the filter off. I don't want to give them any reason not to exchange the saw.

Good Day.

I work at a STIHL dealership and had a similar problem with customers saw.

When unit would get hot it would stop dead in the cut. Maybe 12-15 full bar cuts, 25". Unit would always restart but slow down and stall. I understand yours is dying at idle, but maybe a similar problem.

I put a spark tester on it and it was loosing spark, only when unit was fully at operating temperature. Ran fine when cold.

Replaced control unit (ignition module) and no more problems. Older unit, but fully covered by STIHL.

Hope this helps, Larry. HOS.