Throw line and throw weights and techniques

Adam Bourne

faltimers are lightyears better then stein and for me my throwline saves time and body , wether it be removing odd hangers or stuck cambium savers , throwing to my tip ,setting a traverse or a separate line for inline anchoring ..... its worth spending money on something thats better quality.

I had my stein for two days and it broke.

I've now had my faltimer for two years and in that time my workmate even dropped a tree on it and theres nothing wrong.

for my faltimer I added an extra bottom out of really thing plywood and then used tape to strengthen and cover it for storage of two throwlines .... this extra hard bottom means i can't fold it in quarters but in the 6 months i have had it I'm yet to have problems with tanglng .

thats just my two cents

for throwing i use 8 ouncers with this Freeworker - Stiffline Dyneema Throw Line - climb up high! with an extra 10 ounce on the end for isolating.

Thanks for the interesting read lads!

Just a quick one to add to it - no one has mentioned the Stein Cubes are on chains direct for £13 delivered at the min. Regardless of whether they're not as good as the £70 cubes, £13 delivered is a bargain in anyones eyes!! Just got one myself.

Well spotted Richard! I've had mine for about two years with no real problems, but at that price it's nice to have a spare 👍

faltimers are lightyears better then stein and for me my throwline saves time and body , wether it be removing odd hangers or stuck cambium savers , throwing to my tip ,setting a traverse or a separate line for inline anchoring ..... its worth spending money on something thats better quality.

I had my stein for two days and it broke.

I've now had my faltimer for two years and in that time my workmate even dropped a tree on it and theres nothing wrong.

for my faltimer I added an extra bottom out of really thing plywood and then used tape to strengthen and cover it for storage of two throwlines .... this extra hard bottom means i can't fold it in quarters but in the 6 months i have had it I'm yet to have problems with tanglng .

thats just my two cents

for throwing i use 8 ouncers with this Freeworker - Stiffline Dyneema Throw Line - climb up high! with an extra 10 ounce on the end for isolating.

Really, i only throw 16oz. Never got on with anything less as I was getting stuck every other day. I know what you mean about the Faltheimers Jesse but I just can't justify the cost at the minute. My old Stein has lasted 2 and a half years but has recently been replaced with another Stein. All depends how well you treat it IMO

Really, i only throw 16oz. Never got on with anything less as I was getting stuck every other day. I know what you mean about the Faltheimers Jesse but I just can't justify the cost at the minute. My old Stein has lasted 2 and a half years but has recently been replaced with another Stein. All depends how well you treat it IMO

16 oz? wow thats heavy , how high can you throw that? its always interesting to hear about other peoples throwing........... and i double bag when needed:sneaky2::confused1:

Edited by colemanjessenz

I recon I can throw accurate about 50-60ft with a 16oz would prefer a 12 or 14 but would not go lighter than a twelve... Basically the 16 is only there for rerouting a high line.

Got a 10oz on at the minute and I nearly took it off and launched it as far as possible after spending 15 mins getting a shot in a cedar and after finally bagging it the bloody thing would not come down... I can't see how people get shots on a 8oz unless they only climb beech or eucalyptus ? What line are you using as I have one possible theory dyna glide is heavier than the bag on high shots !

I recon I can throw accurate about 50-60ft with a 16oz would prefer a 12 or 14 but would not go lighter than a twelve... Basically the 16 is only there for rerouting a high line.

Got a 10oz on at the minute and I nearly took it off and launched it as far as possible after spending 15 mins getting a shot in a cedar and after finally bagging it the bloody thing would not come down... I can't see how people get shots on a 8oz unless they only climb beech or eucalyptus ? What line are you using as I have one possible theory dyna glide is heavier than the bag on high shots !

with an 8 oz i can accurately throw to about 25 meters anything after that takes a little longer and to be honest its not all that often. I posted a link in my comment to the line i use and its much slicker then dyna glide , i found that stuff to be nice to throw but like sandpaper (friction wise) and you would need a heavier bag. I'm over in germany so the trees are much the same as you lads , tilia , beech, aesculus,oak etc same sorta stuff.

with an 8 oz i can accurately throw to about 25 meters anything after that takes a little longer and to be honest its not all that often. I posted a link in my comment to the line i use and its much slicker then dyna glide , i found that stuff to be nice to throw but like sandpaper (friction wise) and you would need a heavier bag. I'm over in germany so the trees are much the same as you lads , tilia , beech, aesculus,oak etc same sorta stuff.

Thanks , tried ordering through the link and it won't as its out side of Germany but hopefully they will get back with a shipping quote.

Have not tried any thing but dyna glide for about 8 years as you say it throws nice and is supple unlike a lot of other lines.

Look forward to trying some thing else but maybe it's my style of throwing, just smash it through with a 12 and wiggle it around on a 16 Oz to get the route I want... Probably lacking the finesse to throw with an 8oz!!