Continuing professional development

David Humphries

Been reviewing the last year or so and thinking about the training/development I've had.

It's been a pretty full 12 months with both ones provided by work and the ones I've undertaken in my own time.

I make no apologies that I'm very fortunate to be in a position where my job opens up opportunities.

Its taken many years of persuasion to get succesive Chief Officers & Managers to see the merit in attending a wide variety of training and then share it.

I like to think that the majority of what I pick up is shared both here at the 'Talk that is Arb' and also back with my colleagues.

I often take notes and pass these around to a wide mailing list when I get back.

I've been inspired, motivated, bored, galvanised & enthused in equal measures

I put together this list to remind myself of what I've actually acheived and the places & people I've been lucky enough to have met and listened to in the last year.

Forestry Commission update on P&D at Ickworth

Threats to Londons trees seminar at the Guildhall in the City of London - Jan

London Tree Officers Association seminar on P&D at Camden - Apr

OPM field training in Richmond Park - May

Ancient Tree Forum field visit to Ashtead Common - June

Tree/Risk workshop at Epping Forest - July

Arb & Forestry show seminars Kent - July

A day at the AA Conference in Exeter - Sep

LTOA seminar on subsidence in Brent - Oct

Forest Fungal Ecology in Oxford - Oct

Visual Tree Assessment hosted at work - Oct

Arb Aid Casualty Rescue hosted at work - Nov

LTOA Veteran Tree seminar in Southwalk - Jan

I plumb forgot some of these, must be an age thing :biggrin:

I think it would be interesting to get a snap shot of who's been to what, where and to see who over the last year?

Is CPD important to you?

Do you get a chance?

Is it too time consuming, too expensive?

There's loads of development opportunities out there just waiting to be seized !

helen.JPG.743cc7ee6cef1707a23f5c2a56854865.JPG

IMG_7733.jpg.3d7a0f3ada898bd67d30e855c1a83895.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg.14fd1b15371cdbc434fcdfd349df6a3a.jpg

IMG_7224.jpg.45c3a7a47147eb00fbd48bb675a8b856.jpg

photo_1.JPG.cbcfd3cacf52c32bed24232cdcf668ff.JPG

IMG_6771.jpg.fea9fe40001623b9f9e3f7ebc0cf8d59.jpg

IMG_6770.jpg.32044127bfbae52d5bedbff58915daf6.jpg

aa.JPG.4c9b8797bfc8f4c040e6cc854fed457f.JPG

Nev.JPG.2a014cbb4d80d217067d2c5fb3f14cde.JPG

lonsdale.JPG.d0594f284e1c83de1dfa5db489f585f9.JPG

IMG_2250.jpg.56d9c38f80868caa333980371cb46088.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg.b0493d0343842eb7c70edf3852a559b2.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg.1d83c367e77c7f08ee4b849fafda27ed.jpg

oliver.JPG.74de9d162ae1e88261c8e027dddf08f6.JPG

Ick.JPG.b96a86ea93683543e9b7d433ce1c168c.JPG

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're lucky to have these opportunities David...and we as are group are lucky that you share where possible.

As for myself, it's been a while since I did anything like the sort of stuff you have been doing. I do like to look at my activity on arbtalk, and general business research and improvement as CPD though. I think its important even if you are not actively attending seminars for whatever reason, to still have the focus in the back of your mind to continue developing every aspect of your business

My business went through a golden period when I was making enough money to be able to afford it but still had the time to spend on it. I did the AA Tech and the LANTRA PTI. These days I barely have time to do anything that isn't directly related to making money. It shouldn't be like that but somehow it is. The last thing I did was cs34 and 35, oh and first aid + F. these are through necessity rather than desire.

At the moment there just never seems to be time for anything, much as I would like there to be.

The AA Scottish Branch run a few seminars/workshops every year which I try to get to.

They did a Delivering Treework seminar last year, good speakers on consultancy, contracting, professionalism etc

Lonsdale and Barrell are doing a seminar at Edinburgh Botanic gardens this year, 1st July, will try to get to that.

CPD is an interesting thing.

One of my main sources is ARBTALK and the stuff that's disseminated on here, in no small part thanks to yourself David, and others of course. Trouble is it's "informal" and people probably wouldn't think to record it in the same way they would a specific seminar / workshop / conference / show etc.

BUT don't overlook this opportunity and, I guess, you would need to just capture "what" you've learned (very briefly.)

Other than that I'm very lucky to be in a position which means I attend many events and glean much information...often combined with 'other duties'.

Good to get people thinking about the subject.:thumbup1:

Cheers..

Paul

Did the L4 last year, pti year before.

seminars:

ancient tree mgt at Burnham Beeches

LTOA veteran trees

Got QTRA next month, Mattheck seminar whenever that is.

And I read the Lonsdale book on the bog quite often.

The bog !

Should be pride & place on your desk man :biggrin:

How did you find the BB course, was it the Flora Locale one with David?

Shame you had to endure the tedious speakers at the LTOA seminar, hopefully they haven't put you off the subject too much :lol: